Cutting rope..

john87

5 hours ago, magwick said:

As said above, a heated rope knife. 
hust dont buy from an arb shop, coz of arb tax!

mine cost 70 quid from a yacht chandlers rather the 120 from honeys!  

Yacht swindleries are the usual kings of premium price. Fairly impressive to find them the better deal.

I cut with a knife, heat over a gas hob and roll the melted bit into a cap/taper on a board with the side of a knife. 

28 minutes ago, john87 said:

These electric or gas heated knife things; How hot do they get?? Are they red hot or just melt rope hot??

Do they like melt their way through or are they well sharp as well??

john..

My electric one will just about glow red, it wouldn’t cut a rope cold.

It is so much easier than pissing around heating a blade up. 5 sec holding the trigger and your cutting. 10-15 seconds to cut through a climbing line and same again to round the corners off to seal it. (Whilst still holding trigger) turn it off and forget about it till next time. Mine is probably 6 or 7 year old, it’s one of these: 

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Shop HSGM Rope Cutter - Portable Hot Knife - Cuts Sailing Ropes, Industrial Ropes. Free delivery on eligible orders of £20 or more.

I dont know if that’s the best deal just the first that came up.

2 hours ago, Will C said:

My electric one will just about glow red, it wouldn’t cut a rope cold.

It is so much easier than pissing around heating a blade up. 5 sec holding the trigger and your cutting. 10-15 seconds to cut through a climbing line and same again to round the corners off to seal it. (Whilst still holding trigger) turn it off and forget about it till next time. Mine is probably 6 or 7 year old, it’s one of these: 

Shop HSGM Rope Cutter - Portable Hot Knife - Cuts Sailing Ropes, Industrial Ropes. Free delivery on eligible orders of £20 or more.

I dont know if that’s the best deal just the first that came up.

90 quid gave me a bit of incentive to see what I had lying around, a bit of beech and two screws, a random length of nichrome wire and a flat tractor battery plus 15 minutes fiddling around. Scuse the crap video difficult to do one handed but you can see the ratchet strap I cut as proof of concept.

It really needs a spring to tension the wire, as it goes slack as it heats up,  and a bit of tuning to get the resistance right so it runs a tad hotter.

Mark2 with spring tension

mark2.thumb.jpeg.37ff260a538e228ca1d3f37d3988e51a.jpeg

Edited by openspaceman
added revision picture mark2
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

That's how I have always doe it .

Where's the fun in that?😀

I've added it to my heap of "handy" items, right on top of the vacuum powered fume hood made from a two tier display shelf and pallet wrap for housing my stump grinder tooth sharpening two  wheel grinder which I made last week.

• Like 3

I’ve had better results since stopping bothering with insulating tape. It melts at a different heat to and burns dirtier than whatever ropes are made from. Sharp knife and close fingers keeps the fraying to an entirely reasonable level.

23 minutes ago, AHPP said:

I’ve had better results since stopping bothering with insulating tape. It melts at a different heat to and burns dirtier than whatever ropes are made from. Sharp knife and close fingers keeps the fraying to an entirely reasonable level.

Hot knife melts/seals the end while cutting if you have tape wrapped round.

• Like 1