Customers asking to pay cash to avoid VAT.

benedmonds

It 

1 hour ago, harvey b davison said:
9 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:
If you’re in business you should have internet banking.
95% of my clients pay by chèque.

Hi mick, sorry if I weren't clear, with regards to internet banking I was meaning people such as elderly people who may not have internet banking and prefer to pay in cash, not you (as in company), I honestly didn't think cheques still existed. Cheers.

I re-read it and yes, I see what you meant now.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Will C said:

It’s only Cornwall that still trade in turnips and banjos as legal tender I’m afraid.

The barter system could work well but its being stopped along with the cashless society arriving 🤮

Barter is a well established method of trade as I discovered and used to beat HMRC into an embarrassing climb down at tribunal - Cnuts!

• Like 5

17 hours ago, harvey b davison said:

I really don't understand this. I would rather be paid at the end of the job in cash than by any other means. You give someone a price, to be paid on completion, they agree, you do the job, get paid in full, go home happy knowing full well you have been paid in full, and don't have to mess about chasing non payments. There are loads of self employed people that deal mainly with cash.
Also who likes giving their bank details out to everybody, not me, it just makes you more susceptible to fraudsters. Who carries a card machine with them ?, not everyone has internet banking. Do cheques still exist ?

I wrote a cheque for shotgun licence renewal this week. How I found the cheque book what with Mrs being away is amazing!

Invoices sent by email are always password protected - lot of info that’s useful to the ill disposed!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, harvey b davison said:

Who carries a card machine with them ?

I'm in the process of getting one. Mainly for elderly clients or small jobs. They don't often carry a lot of cash and having to arrange Bacs payment with a carer or whoever has power of attorney can be a nightmare! 

• Like 1

On 21/04/2021 at 16:51, eggsarascal said:

I'd take the cash but I understand why some companies won't, after all you never know who you are dealing with... If I was a tax inspector I'd try it on witn every tradesman who darkened my doorstep.

By all accounts tax inspectors are the second most likely to ask for cash discount. 
Just slightly behind coppers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, harvey b davison said:
15 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:
If you’re in business you should have internet banking.
95% of my clients pay by chèque.

Hi mick, sorry if I weren't clear, with regards to internet banking I was meaning people such as elderly people who may not have internet banking and prefer to pay in cash, not you (as in company), I honestly didn't think cheques still existed. Cheers.

No... Please dont infer that Dempsey is 'old'.... K

• Like 1

To be fair, if you took a lot of cash jobs and then put that cash (say 60%) into your business account then you would create enough of a paper trail that HMRC couldn't catch you out as you aren't required to cash in each cash job as separate amounts. 

Not something I would bother doing as it isn't worth the risk (one guy I knew got charged mega money by HMRC) and I don't want the additional stress or wanting to watch my back!

I just tell customers "It's the same price cash or bacs. With digital accounting and the dark lords of HMRC wanting to have a papertrail the old days of cash in hand are long gone". Usually gets a little chuckle and the customer understands. 

Edited by Paddy1000111