Customers asking to pay cash to avoid VAT.

benedmonds

8 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

What was the caper?

The “professional” told her what / how much to order, she did exactly as asked. 

An “amateur” did the job with half as much materiel. 

I ‘s’pose it’s possible builder planned for 2 coats. 

All I’m saying is, we all instantaneously thought it more likely that the overage would have gone off either to his home or another job. 

Im not suggesting ALL would behave this way, just that a lot seem to and it’s not just my experience. 

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Dear client/customers,

If you want to pay cash (with the vat on of course) at least get it out of the bank in advance, I don’t want to go round your house again later on, 

2 year old thread you must be bored stupid trawling the forum 😏

3 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

2 year old thread you must be bored stupid trawling the forum 😏

You don’t think it’s more likely that he is peeved because the client that insisted on cash, hadn’t the decency to have it to hand at the end of today’s job?

• Like 2

Many years ago I had a cash customer in Necton who upon completion, informed me that she would now have to go into the bank in Swaffham (when swaffham had banks) and draw it out.

It was about 2 on a Friday and the last job of the week,so the lads went back to the yard  in one truck while I waited in the other.

She’d been a bit slippery with us so I had my doubts about getting paid at all but I never the less decided to wait it out.

From memory she rolled back and coughed up between 6 and 7, can’t remember her excuse but I was determined to have it .

4 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Dear client/customers,

If you want to pay cash (with the vat on of course) at least get it out of the bank in advance, I don’t want to go round your house again later on, 

i actually think that’s a fair point, i had a customer recently that insisted on paying cash, it took me three subsequent visits to actually pick up the cash as they they weren’t there at the times they said they would be. that’s probably the equivalent of 1 1/2 hours of additional time on top of the job to get settled up 

On the rare occasion anyone pays with cash these days it boils my piss having to come back and collect it. 

The last person who I prewarned twice to have it ready as the job was quite a ways from our normal area 'forgot'.

So I politely told him he would need to drop it off at my house in the week or I'd have to charge petrol money and my time to collect. 

He made the 2 hour round trip. Doubt he will forget again for the next tradesman 

It's the idiots that come into my place and want to buy a new saw, mower etc and then say will it be cheaper if I pay cash. I normally say how so?

They then come back and say something like, 'Well, with cash you can just stick it in your pocket'

.....err, yeah, so how does that work then, when I have an invoice for it, and a bank account transaction to the supplier for the purchase of it? First thing tax man wants to see is either the stock I have purchased, or the money for it!!! Some people are right numpties. I normally say 'well, if you can find me a supplier who can sell me a load of stock with no purchase paperwork that I can pay cash for, then I may be able to do a cash deal for you'

I normally get a blank look.

• Like 3