Red diesel

Baldbloke

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Really? Dont think so Leslie. 

If she can feed her family for £20 and look this well fed then Im sure anyone can. You're talking utter Tosh there.

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Lorna Cooper, 44, from Paisley near Glasgow, has 554,000 followers on her Facebook page where she regularly shares...

So why are there so many people who rely on food banks. Talking though your arse as usual andy pandy

11 hours ago, topchippyles said:

And that is just one producer so imagine across the board. Quite a reality check when you state it out load.

very much a reality check, and wait for this, Spoke yo Neil this morning who is the main man on these farms, i asked him about the red diesel going next April, he said its not going to bother us as we could not afford to do it other wise, he said this time of year is very busy for us and the fuel bill for the nest 6 wks till every thing is either empty or ploughed and sawn will be 50-60k and then it will ease back to about 15 k for a month, then it will be back up again when we start silo, Harvesting the maize can be the worst as that can be so hit n miss with weather if its good going might cost 3k in fuel a day to harvest it for 3 days, it weather is shit we might have another 2 or 3 tractors chained to the same trailer and another pushing forager and that costs in both fuel and man hrs as he needs extra drivers , not a cheap pass time to be in at all, 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Totally agree that a large farm will use a lot of diesel. 

I live near to a medium size haulage firm who have 100+ trucks on the road, and they would use easily 25,000 litres of diesel per day, and of course they have to use white diesel.  And yet I can still pop to my local Tesco and buy enough food to feed my family all day for less than an hour's pay at minimum wage.

And Tesco are one of the big supermarkets who have put the most of there smaller suppliers of veg out of buisness, One farm we shoot over used to supply tesco with milk and all the producers where asked to a meeting and tesco wanted to drop the milk price by 1 1/2p a ltr so that Tesco could build a new centeral processing plant some where around north Birmingham, hence this guy is not with Tescos now as when the 5 yr contract finished he didnt renew it along with his brother in law on another farm,

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

very much a reality check, and wait for this, Spoke yo Neil this morning who is the main man on these farms, i asked him about the red diesel going next April, he said its not going to bother us as we could not afford to do it other wise, he said this time of year is very busy for us and the fuel bill for the nest 6 wks till every thing is either empty or ploughed and sawn will be 50-60k and then it will ease back to about 15 k for a month, then it will be back up again when we start silo, Harvesting the maize can be the worst as that can be so hit n miss with weather if its good going might cost 3k in fuel a day to harvest it for 3 days, it weather is shit we might have another 2 or 3 tractors chained to the same trailer and another pushing forager and that costs in both fuel and man hrs as he needs extra drivers , not a cheap pass time to be in at all, 

I did a new build site for a developer up in the golden valley (hereford) a few years ago and from morning until late at night it was tractor after tractor passing us every ten minutes with fully loaded trailers of spuds. Anyway got talking to one of the lads as we needed some diesel for the site and he told us where to go. Pulled up on the farm and this huge building kitted out like some space ship and as it turns out it was monitoring all the farming vehicles which were working within a 35 mile radius. All spuds and the farmer was at the time the biggest producer of potatoes and if the price went up by 2p in the pound it would make his harvest go up by 250k . Can only imagine his fuel bill.

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Commando said:

It would be nice to see all cattle being raised on grass again!

There is actually an organisation called the Pasture Fed Livestock Association (which I happen to be a member of) striving to steer people in that direction.

PFLA

You may find that much of their philosophy strikes a chord with you, unfortunately though, the majority of farmers not so much.

Edited by coppice cutter
  • Like 2

It’s not going though is it from agriculture! It will still. exempt from the duty....
  • Like 1

I think what we have to worry about is if the construction industry has been stopped from using it is where we stand... I can argue we do forestry and have some cattle so our 4 tractors will be having red in them but are we are exempt from putting 20 litres a day in chippers and skidsteers ???

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MattyF said:

I think what we have to worry about is if the construction industry has been stopped from using it is where we stand... I can argue we do forestry and have some cattle so our 4 tractors will be having red in them but are we are exempt from putting 20 litres a day in chippers and skidsteers ???

I am not going to be worrying about it at all as 

1) How can this be policed ? and at what cost to the economy ?

2) it will be years before it all gets sorted out

3) our government cant sort anything out at the moment 

4) we all look at things in different ways, some will be panicking and some wont and my addvise would be just ride it out and it will be what it is ,,

I dont think your 20ltrs in your chipper or running a skidd streer of cherry is going to make a difference, after all it does state on some gov web sites that red diesel is not for road use ? so does that mean we have to put white in to drive a agricultural tractor down the road the .gov websites are full of statments like this,,,

• Like 2

18 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Really? Dont think so Leslie. 

If she can feed her family for £20 and look this well fed then Im sure anyone can. You're talking utter Tosh there.

Lorna Cooper, 44, from Paisley near Glasgow, has 554,000 followers on her Facebook page where she regularly shares...

By the look of her, £20 is clearly a lot more than she needs to be spending 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 4