Shipping container security

Paddy1000111

I have put steel roller shutters on since my last break in, the chap who fitted them reckoned they are good because there is no quiet way to break them.

He works in London a lot and does places like motorbike shops, where they have roller shutters on top of bars the thieves have gone in other ways, such as knocking a bit of wall down or through the roof.

Only other thing comes to mind, I've read to use motorcycle chain and anchor to floor under the trailer/chipper so that it's hard to attack the padlock with a sledgehammer. Those chains with 19mm links can't be bolt cuttered, obviously take a while with a grinder.

We have cctv, alarm the lot. When police discovered it was Pikies they couldn't or wouldn't help us. They did three other 's around here that night, it leaves you with a realy bad taste. Police are not allowed to stop them without back up. Now we use smart water on every thing. Spread your tools around in diffrent buildings they my only take some then.

It all comes back to fancy a cheap saw mate £50 cash NO ?? asked who ever buys them are scum just like the ones that steal from us all. In my mind.........

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Steven P said:

So reading this a few thoughts.

I know most of it is said in joke but rigging a trap to cause harm to an intruder isn't an option really. A lost chipper is a smaller loss of income than 5 years inside. Think dopey apprentice opening the container up at 7:30 on a Monday morning for what could go very very wrong.

If you are assuming that they will get in might be you let them with the least damage possible and then claim off the insurance. For example I never lock the shed, a £100 lawnmower or 2 new doors that would get ripped off as they break in is almost even. Chipper is more than that so probably not an option either.

The bloke I bought the house from had bikes in the garage, and a fuse labeled 'Blaster' (no house alarm by the way). So if you are thinking of setting up a wireless alert to the phone, how about a signal the other way to sound a 'blaster', something deafening but since you are in control of setting it off, it won't anoy the neighbours. Couple of cameras to be sure. Note that in work we had to put warnings on all the alarmed doors 'Ear defenders must be worn until the alarm is disabled'

Second thing he had was a bar at the base of the door about 6" up (great trip hazard by the way), you couldn't just wheel the bikes out, had to lift them out, and this might be an option. A bar at the front locked in place so you have to lift the chipper out or cut the bar. Couple this with 'Blater' going off....Put blaster in the container so it can't be damaged before they break in

Third thing he had was a roller shutter door.. not at all quiet to open (held shut by 2 spark plugs wierdly), you could put one of these insde.

For false alarms, I have seen it with 2 beams passing a door, got to break both to set the alarm off, a mouse or something won't break both beams but a human will

So far apart from an arial on top, nothing to show high security system and make it attractive from the outside. Of course, you might get some people breaking in speculativly and they don't follow the rules of going in through the door, might go through the roof or side. Saw a reinforced filing cainet once, 5m steel frame round the front to hold the drawers sut - built to the specs, but a 'tin opener' would open the back up in seconds. Put a big lock at the front they will cut round it or through the doors themselves to look in.

I will guess that over time you will keep more than the chipper in there, assume it will be broken into a lock everything down

The blank 12g tripwires are perfectly legal i believe ! I’ve a few dotted around the estate some with rock salt / chilli mix others just blank ! I rate them if only for the giggle factor 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aatimbers said:

We have cctv, alarm the lot. When police discovered it was Pikies they couldn't or wouldn't help us. They did three other 's around here that night, it leaves you with a realy bad taste. Police are not allowed to stop them without back up. Now we use smart water on every thing. Spread your tools around in diffrent buildings they my only take some then.

It all comes back to fancy a cheap saw mate £50 cash NO ?? asked who ever buys them are scum just like the ones that steal from us all. In my mind.........

Same here i told the police where to look when i got done last year and they said "oh we dont go there",i said what if i go round for ya,they said we strongly advise you dont,some pikeys bought a little field about 2 mile from me a couple years back and since then most every farm or anybody with tools has been done

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

If they are wearing a covid face mask then it wouldn't stand up in court because it wouldn't prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was them. I got told that in the Prison Service after the riots. We all knew who was on the roof throwing slates but their face was covered so we couldn't prove who it was. fwiw

Knew someone would mention the C word in this thread some. 

• Haha 1