Firewood Moisture Content

Paul in the woods

2 hours ago, peds said:

Should have been more specific, obviously polytunnels work well for drying wood. I'm asking for any opinions on felling trees during the correct phase of the moon, which I'm not exactly convinced makes enough of a difference to escape ridicule. But I'm always happy to be educated on matters of which I have no knowledge.

I realised this but if it would dry in any case how can you tell if the lunies have a point?

3 hours ago, peds said:

Should have been more specific, obviously polytunnels work well for drying wood. I'm asking for any opinions on felling trees during the correct phase of the moon, which I'm not exactly convinced makes enough of a difference to escape ridicule. But I'm always happy to be educated on matters of which I have no knowledge.

Sounds a bit too fancyful for my liking. Similarly to sowing seed according to lunar cycles.

Maybe it does make a very teeny tiny difference to water content in the wood, but I don't think you'd ever notice. Capillary action is far stronger than earth's gravity, and that itself is far stronger than the moon's gravity.

Nah.

• Like 1

The lunar cycle affects the tides, when the moon and sun are in line the tidal range is greater (springs), when the moon is at either side the tide range is lowest (neaps).

Broadly speaking the oceans bulge towards the sun and towards the moon, yes. The idea that the tidal cycle affects tree sap rising is where it gets loony.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I realised this but if it would dry in any case how can you tell if the lunies have a point?

Well that's exactly it... obviously the big thing here is being roasted in a polytunnel... how many days difference drying time, between zero and more than zero, does knocking them over under a full moon (or whatever), actually make, how would you measure it?  Maybe 4 piles: moon chopped in a tunnel, moon chopped outside, not moon chopped in a tunnel, not moon chopped outside; measure and record moisture content of all 4 piles...

But then... why would you? 

Maybe you could sell it for a few more quid to the right kind of customer...

The kind of customer who would pay more demands absolutely no proof that it's any different, so no point proving it either way.

This just sounds to me like hippies mixing the ideas of tides and summer/winter sap because they have no idea how any of it works. Astrology is about as mysterious and useful.

On the other hand you can find lots of plants that are affected by the moon cycle, by the sea.

On the other hand you can find lots of plants that are affected by the moon cycle, by the sea.

I thought it was all nonsense?

EXTENSION.ILLINOIS.EDU

Our sun has special significance in the gardening world.  It offers sunlight, which plants use to generate energy and...

• Like 1

I mean places like tidal marsh land. The tides vary through the month and year which affects those plants on the fringes.

I have absolutely no idea how the moons gravity can affect the apple tree in my garden. Complete hippy nonsense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I have absolutely no idea how the moons gravity can affect the apple tree in my garden. Complete hippy nonsense.

Yeah, but how about this... we fill an IBC with plain old water - ideally from a spring or mountain stream, but really, anything will do - and leave it outside for one full lunar cycle... wax and wane, full and new... letting it absorb the power of the moonlight...

Then, we take that 1000 litres of moon water, and split it into a thousand other IBCs...  then top it up with 999 litres of plain water and shake it about a bit, giving us ONE MILLION LITRES of 1k strength homoeopathic moon water.

Then...

...get this...

...we do it again! Giving us ONE BILLION LITRES of ONE MILLION STRENGTH homoeopathic moon water to sell to the smelly hippies, harnessing the incredible power of the lunar cycle to let your plants grow stronger even at nighttime!!

We'll make a fortune!