Firewood Moisture Content

Paul in the woods

Well, for those of you just itching to find our the results of my 'log in an oven' test, here it is!

The logs took 50hrs to dry out to the point that no further weight loss occurred, weighing 84% of their original weight. Hence working backwards their original moisture content would have been 16% wet / 19% dry.  The task was to see whether having sat in the open for a year, cut but not split, they would be ok to burn without further seasoning ... the results show they are.

The next thrilling instalment will be to see how quickly some freshly-cut apple & pine will get to a burnable moisture content  via the Aga oven.  Ideally, I'd be able to load an evening's worth of logs at a time and have them ready for burning the next evening ... might as well have the Aga do something apart from sitting around drinking oil.  However, I rather suspect 24hrs won't be long enough to get them to 20%, and the kitchen will reek of wood.  Stay tuned!

Before you ask, Stubby, this isn't my day job mate!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WiltshireMike said:

Well, for those of you just itching to find our the results of my 'log in an oven' test, here it is!

The logs took 50hrs to dry out to the point that no further weight loss occurred, weighing 84% of their original weight. Hence working backwards their original moisture content would have been 16% wet / 19% dry.  The task was to see whether having sat in the open for a year, cut but not split, they would be ok to burn without further seasoning ... the results show they are.

The next thrilling instalment will be to see how quickly some freshly-cut apple & pine will get to a burnable moisture content  via the Aga oven.  Ideally, I'd be able to load an evening's worth of logs at a time and have them ready for burning the next evening ... might as well have the Aga do something apart from sitting around drinking oil.  However, I rather suspect 24hrs won't be long enough to get them to 20%, and the kitchen will reek of wood.  Stay tuned!

Before you ask, Stubby, this isn't my day job mate!!

Not sure there is such a thing as free energy in this system of yours. Using the Aga to dry your logs is going to have cost 

• Like 1

Not sure there is such a thing as free energy in this system of yours. Using the Aga to dry your logs is going to have cost 
Agreed, it must take energy to evaporate the water.

Surely there's going to be a lot of condensation somewhere too? Does the oven vent to the flue or will it just end up dripping down the windows?
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting topic - everyone seems to have a good grasp on the upcoming regulations - more red tape & hoops to jump through!!

Most folk I know - who have regular log customers -  have only ever sold dry wood to them  (otherwise those regular customers fizzle away and disappear) - and likewise the cowboy fly by night wet wood sellers fizzle out in just the same way -  so it all balances out overall.

Here's a click-through to FoxWoodAgri,s website - this link simplifies the Firewood Selling Jargon - and hopefully can be of use for some...…. so thought I would share 

Firewood Selling Regulations | FoxWoodAgricultural 

On 25/01/2022 at 21:37, FoxWoodAgri said:

Interesting topic - everyone seems to have a good grasp on the upcoming regulations - more red tape & hoops to jump through!!

Most folk I know - who have regular log customers -  have only ever sold dry wood to them  (otherwise those regular customers fizzle away and disappear) - and likewise the cowboy fly by night wet wood sellers fizzle out in just the same way -  so it all balances out overall.

Here's a click-through to FoxWoodAgri,s website - this link simplifies the Firewood Selling Jargon - and hopefully can be of use for some...…. so thought I would share 

Firewood Selling Regulations | FoxWoodAgricultural 

Only sell 40 or 50 cube mts per year to regular customers all from my Arb waste, seasoned minimum of 2 years outside🤔. I must be one of those fly by night wet wood sellers you talk about. I’m sold out this year and still turn people away. And don’t expect it to tail off, in fact I see more demand on the horizon. Thanks for posting a copy of the Firewood Selling Regulations for us all to see but if you took the trouble to read a few more threads on here you’ll see that it’s been thrashed to death already.