Ash felling over the top or safety

essential

We have been felling Ash all winter in the East of England (in accordance with our FC approved management plan).

I would say that less than 1% of the trees we encountered were looking healthy. All brittle and shattering on impact.

It is difficult to assess the health of an Ash tree in winter, but this year we have started to notice that a handful of mature trees in the wood look to have maintained a 'springy' looking canopy of branches. The top twigs have a feathery look to them rather than an angular one.

We have been leaving these trees to see what they look like in leaf. It may be nothing or it may be a winter indicator of health.

Time will tell.

• Like 4

I’ve climbed a lot of Ash with dieback now. Probably every week since September.
They are unpredictable in their response in the wood I’d say. Some look knackered in the tips but the wood is fine, holds a hinge, etc others the wood will not hold a directional hinge, branches just fall off.
It can be tricky work but I don’t feel like I’ve been in any real danger from any of the trees I’ve done. Just be sensible with your tip is and how big you go.

Some clients just want to remove dead wood but it seems like an expensive route to me. Once the disease is established I can’t see a way back for the individual tree unfortunately.
If targets are high value, it’s got to go, and if there is a bunch along a road the most economical way to do it is in one go and I would have thought most land owners and councils are thinking this way.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Clutchy said:

Sort of off topic, but out of interest, would the saplings or standard planting size trees from nursery's of common Ash currently on sale be resilient  to ADB? 

Or are newly planted Ash just a susceptible? I think what I'm trying to say is there a variant that could now be planted that is resistant to Chalara? Sorry if it's a stupid question 🤪

I'd hang fire on planting for now.
I've observed that saplings and young trees appear to be particularly susceptible to ADB. It might be that a more resistant strain of ash is identified soon and propagated.

Woodland dynamics are going to change, ash and sycamore are adversaries in a woodland. 

Emerald ash borer is also waiting in the wings:  

WWW.FORESTRESEARCH.GOV.UK

Information about the emerald ash borer beetle (Agrilus planipennis), an insect pest of ash trees

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Good question!

Naive landowners and poorly informed tree workers might not realise it could be a route to securing replanting at landowner expense?

Whenever I have had to remove a tree that has had the TPO taken off due to a sudden decline of a previously healthy tree, the customer is usually:-

a)Upset that it has to be removed.

b)Upset at the cost of removal.

c) Usually have the intention of replanting a tree anyway.

Does the TA state size and species, and do they follow up on establishment of the tree moving forward?

In the scheme of things cost wise, surely planting a tree is chicken feed compared with a crane/mewp dismantle?

I planted three trees with the kids at the weekend, Peach, Nectarine and Apricot. Three trees, double staked and ties for  £90.

• Like 1

Doing a lot of die back with very experienced hand cutter. He walking away from some of the gear as way to dangerous and unpredictable. The one in the picture was 25m tall near a right of way and the top exploded on impact. 
All the ash we are coming across in the forestry sector are all suffering and becoming a serious hazard extremely quick. 

5E95D2C4-F5D9-4246-8D35-3E7A381B0613.jpeg

Edited by Elmsdown Forestry
  • Like 5