The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

2 hours ago, orang-utan said:

Hi mate, can I ask where you hire from as I need to hire a wee chipper and have been advised to use Rawstone Hire but looking at their reviews on Trustpilot I really want to avoid this company!?  Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  I am in SE London.  Cheers

Bloody hell- yes, I think I'd avoid.

I sometimes wonder at online reviews, are firms really that bad is a group of people having a twist of the knife with a different motive or are folks expectations more than reality can deliver at that price?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PeteB said:

I sometimes wonder at online reviews, are firms really that bad is a group of people having a twist of the knife with a different motive or are folks expectations more than reality can deliver at that price?

Why, how do GreenMech fare on TrustPilot? 🤣

Biggest downside looks to be the high infeed over the handlebars. 
We run haecksler 4 on small chipper and has been planing to mount it on tracked wheelbarrow etc. But I think it should be other way around so that the driving bars be on out put side

Agree with that.  I have a particular tracked barrow base for which Jo Beau make a steel plate floor that then accommodates an M300.  I don't use the setup as much as I thought I would but when I do it's brilliant; the infeed chute is the opposite end of the whole to the handles of the barrow base.  I suppose if you were stupid you could spray chip straight ahead and cover the controls of the barrow with it but I never have the output chute straight so as to avoid dumping chip onto the chipper engine, air intake, exhaust.

As for the height issue - I wouldn't want to hoike material higher all day but in reality it's not a big deal.  Often the reason for using the barrow base is that I'm working on a hill:  there's nearly always a flatter spot to park the chipper in which case I point the infeed chute towards the up slope and feed from above if you see what I mean; it helps

We have had a TB100 for 3 years. Powerful, goes anywhere, uphill and down dale, eats anything. Can detach the chipper body and attach a barrow - although we have a custom made welded log cradle. Will self power up ramps into the trailer.

The height of the hopper has never been an issue, it's gravity fed so needs to be designed for safety so you can't reach the blades by hand to clear blockages.

The self powered tracks mean more jobs can be done single handed.

Touch narrower than our old CS100.

We wouldn't part with it. If it exploded tomorrow I'd have bought another by the end of the day.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, GLynch said:

Anyone know if the new jansen chippers are any good? They do a 15hp loncin one for £2400 or a Kohler 14hp for £2800

Both look pretty good machines

They look very overpriced. I fear you may be falling for the marketing trick of a website image of a smiling, ‘quintessentially German mechanic’ 🤣

They are the same Chinese base unit as all the others. Rock machinery will do you it for £2k with a Briggs. Hyundai only £1600 with skinnier wheels etc. 

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1