The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

9 hours ago, PeteB said:

Got to admit.....I would rather pay more,  a lot more.....to acquire goods from another economic zone. 

Support Britian, support the UK, support our European neighbours....

Free market, innit 🙄 Global economy and all that.

Do you buy all your screws in packs of ten from the local hardware shop, to 'support the local economy'? Or do you buy them in boxes of a hundred from a big mail order centre? They all come from China anyway.

Our whole ****************ing 'economy' is built upon the arbitrage of cheap third world labour, leaving a ton of 'disposable' income free to support massive bubbles in the stock market and housing. That may well be coming to an end. However, I'm not about to shoot myself in the foot by paying triple to 'support the UK' when the average house price here is fourteen times the average local wage. I have to do what's best for me to claw my way up to a similar standard of living as a ****************ing postman from the eighties, with their free council house and gold plated pension.

I don't need to be paying for the MD of Greenmech's foreign holidays, or his salesmen and their brand new pickups. I fully accept that backup should at least exist, unlike a lot of the Chinese distributors- but I personally don't need backup on something as simple as an engine, drum unit and a pair of vee belts and wheels.

As soon as it all changes and I can afford to pay three times the cost for a comparable chipper yet still afford an honest house on an honest days wage, then I'll be beating your door down.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, AJStrees said:

Sounds good for the price. I was looking at the 15hp Crytec towable chipper. Being able to actually move it around will mean I can get it around site easier which works for me. I have looked at other chinese options along with the more expensive ones. 

Access is not much of an issue for me as I have 59 acres of rolling countryside to look after and obviously getting a much bigger chipper later on will be the best option. However for the time being until the budget improves, I will try for a wee chipper jobby and see how long it lasts. :thumbup1:

I've been thinking about getting one of those and mounting it onto a spare platform for a MuckTruck as it happens. The engine above the drum type would lend themselves to such an application.

• Like 1

I agree with both Doobin and Pete B.

Both have valid points.

Longer supply chains mean goods cost more, often without the quality of back up and service available in the home country.

Muck truck have an intersting video where they go through the various hidden design differences between their UK produced machine and the multi-brand Chinesium copies.

I bought a Chinesium chippette last October for 2 specific jobs with poor access, even parking was impossible without a council permit.

There are many superficial similarlities with the GM model though less refined which leads to higher noise from vibration and certain parts align poorly.

It was however a mere €1372 shipped from Italy against €8500 for the GM model sold in France.

That is a difference of 600%

As I never expected to use it more than a handfull of times per year, I could live with the differences in quality of build.

The days of ultra cheap all things Chinese manufactured may well be at an end.

Containers which cost €1500 to ship pre-covid are now €15000

French news often dedicates articles promoting 'Made in France' 

From cars, white goods, clothes, footwear to smaller artisan level goods.

Food, always food.

I live and work in a town were houses start at €300k and there is no possibility of ever getting on the property ladder locally on a tree surgeons wage.

I'll make economies where I can and where justified.

Crossing borders and negociating post Brexit bureaucracy recently saved me €7k.

Not an insignificant figure and all I am forgoing is a relationship with less than pro-active local dealers content to take your money and give little in the way of service in return.

I still have a GM150 languishing at a Briggs Efi dealer since April, 8 months with end in sight, the warranty having run out in August.

That is French 'service àprès vente' for you...

Stuart

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

I agree with both Doobin and Pete B.

Both have valid points.

Longer supply chains mean goods cost more, often without the quality of back up and service available in the home country.

Muck truck have an intersting video where they go through the various hidden design differences between their UK produced machine and the multi-brand Chinesium copies.

I bought a Chinesium chippette last October for 2 specific jobs with poor access, even parking was impossible without a council permit.

There are many superficial similarlities with the GM model though less refined which leads to higher noise from vibration and certain parts align poorly.

It was however a mere €1372 shipped from Italy against €8500 for the GM model sold in France.

That is a difference of 600%

As I never expected to use it more than a handfull of times per year, I could live with the differences in quality of build.

The days of ultra cheap all things Chinese manufactured may well be at an end.

Containers which cost €1500 to ship pre-covid are now €15000

French news often dedicates articles promoting 'Made in France' 

From cars, white goods, clothes, footwear to smaller artisan level goods.

Food, always food.

I live and work in a town were houses start at €300k and there is no possibility of ever getting on the property ladder locally on a tree surgeons wage.

I'll make economies where I can and where justified.

Crossing borders and negociating post Brexit bureaucracy recently saved me €7k.

Not an insignificant figure and all I am forgoing is a relationship with less than pro-active local dealers content to take your money and give little in the way of service in return.

I still have a GM150 languishing at a Briggs Efi dealer since April, 8 months with end in sight, the warranty having run out in August.

That is French 'service àprès vente' for you...

Stuart

With end in sight or no end in sight?

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

With end in sight or no end in sight?

No end in sight.

Just empty promises and hollow words.

Oddly enough, I've a colleague whose VW Passat has been at a main dealers for 9 months with an intermittant fault which puts it into a crawl.

His situation mirrors mine though a Vanguard Efi is childs play compared to a car engine.

Stuart