older model saw rebuilds

jarnii

cheers for the replies guys, I'm definitely not sold on the new saws compared to the older because the older ones were made to last a lot longer and were made to endure and now its all electrics and stuff they just aren't as good as they were. I've worked for a few guys with 550's and they do just die after a year or so of good use, I'm still using 192t's, 390's, 395's and 372'S. these saws are still going and sure have their downsides but also work great. I have a lot of repairs to do on the horizon because recently I've been getting a lot of bigger feelings to do and in January its much the same. I would say though that this seems to be the way togo and maybe to restore a few older saws would not be a bad idea.

appreciate all the thoughts and opinions it was good to read.

I’d love a new one of these.
IMG_1606513855.246996.thumb.jpg.5a8a9c9a8b6e6d6555b43869130479de.jpgIMG_1606513866.057286.thumb.jpg.f80b2ce2cdb4f4ec56b98150367d9855.jpgIMG_1606513875.580593.thumb.jpg.7bbca1139f5898993a94c1b6945a3d0f.jpgIMG_1606513884.542055.thumb.jpg.2d898c90baf00bd022a80be80ca8ef4e.jpgIMG_1606513895.546288.thumb.jpg.09d94d75b3456e860c8a685b14e9fa25.jpg
[emoji106]

Still running a cracking 064AV on a Regular basis. Just given it to Honey Bros to keep it in tip top shape for me. Love that saw.
Has made in West Germany on the side so has a certain vintage to it.
I run it on a 25” bar and it’s great.

I’d honestly rather have it than the new 500i on the same bar.

The older Stihls are superb. Not so keen on their new stuff. Mostly I’ve gone Husky and Echo now although the 881 is enticing .....
  • Like 1

Personally from a production point of view I think it’s mentally ill to use old saws... as well as being worse on emissions that damage your health and the anti vibrations being less efficient which again damage your health especially so on a worn saw or ones with non factory cheap parts fitted they are in no way as productive... buy a new saw if you have a lot of felling and replace it after a year if it’s your livelihood and keep the other for spares that are readily available ! If your really tight then sell the old one as used saws seem to make stupid money !! but I’d rather have the spares to keep a saw going in an emergency.. if you can’t do this your not charging enough.
On another note I’ve not had much of any auto tune saws go wrong apart from the usual wear and they are still easy enough to change cylinders and pistons on if they do go.

• Like 2

Personally from a production point of view I think it’s mentally ill to use old saws... as well as being worse on emissions that damage your health and the anti vibrations being less efficient which again damage your health especially so on a worn saw or ones with non factory cheap parts fitted they are in no way as productive... buy a new saw if you have a lot of felling and replace it after a year if it’s your livelihood and keep the other for spares that are readily available ! If your really tight then sell the old one as used saws seem to make stupid money !! but I’d rather have the spares to keep a saw going in an emergency.. if you can’t do this your not charging enough.
On another note I’ve not had much of any auto tune saws go wrong apart from the usual wear and they are still easy enough to change cylinders and pistons on if they do go.

Cost doesn’t come into the equation. Saws are cheap as chips when you look at what they earn you.
Some older saws are just a pleasure to use. [emoji106].

• Like 1