Self employed full time groundsman required Tyne & Wear.

michaelm

2 hours ago, topchippyles said:

Why ?? 2 weeks off a year breaks that but down to both parties to agree terms 

Dangerous game to play. All the self employed full time worker need do is not bother paying tax and when he gets caught say I’m working there full time I assumed I was employed. Boss now gets a big bill. Not worth it

• Like 5

How I understand it is its a % of total earnings if from a single source that person has to be placed on PAYE even if it's not a full time position, off hand I can't remember that figure.
This won't apply if a bonified sub contractor working own equipment under own insurance and method statement without supervision of course but a groundy working as part of your team isn't that.
If I were you I'd check with your accountant or a payroll advice company as could land you in more shit with HMRC than you want to be as once they get a sniff of one thing your wide open for more probing.

• Like 3

On 04/11/2020 at 08:01, Richard 1234 said:

Dangerous game to play. All the self employed full time worker need do is not bother paying tax and when he gets caught say I’m working there full time I assumed I was employed. Boss now gets a big bill. Not worth it

This behaviour has cost a friend of mine a significant amount of money ( & stress). After 3 years of irregular work, his subbing announced that he had not been paying tax, had no UTR and wanted all his tax paying and holiday pay etc - the courts reluctantly backed him & payment had to be made - be warned folks

• Like 3

WWW.GOV.UK

Employment status (worker, employee, self-employed, director or contractor) affects employment rights and employer...

There are always 'probably' and 'usually' etc; little is set in stone.  HMRC regard someone as having a particular status, an Employment Tribunal can have the final determination.

Thanks for the comments and information supplied. I always ask for invoices on a weekly base from subbies so have a paper trail for records. Also ask to see UTR and relevant insurance & certificates where appropriate. Position not full time all year round, will check with my accountant about keeping in mine with HMRC. Thanks

On 05/11/2020 at 07:14, Gray git said:

How I understand it is its a % of total earnings if from a single source that person has to be placed on PAYE even if it's not a full time position, off hand I can't remember that figure.
This won't apply if a bonified sub contractor working own equipment under own insurance and method statement without supervision of course but a groundy working as part of your team isn't that.
If I were you I'd check with your accountant or a payroll advice company as could land you in more shit with HMRC than you want to be as once they get a sniff of one thing your wide open for more probing.

Pants down, legs spread, negat lube!

On 05/11/2020 at 08:18, Pete Mctree said:

This behaviour has cost a friend of mine a significant amount of money ( & stress). After 3 years of irregular work, his subbing announced that he had not been paying tax, had no UTR and wanted all his tax paying and holiday pay etc - the courts reluctantly backed him & payment had to be made - be warned folks

They are pretty savage given a sniff of irregularity....

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

A court heard Dominic Chappell spent the money that was owed on two yachts and a luxury holiday.

4 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Pants down, legs spread, negat lube!

They are pretty savage given a sniff of irregularity....

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

A court heard Dominic Chappell spent the money that was owed on two yachts and a luxury holiday.

Bit o camo netting over that yatch of yourn then , in yr quiet little cove , Kev , safe than sorry ;) K