Changing over to Aspen?

tim361

I’m looking into changing over to Aspen and just wondering if it’s as simple as just filling the saws up and running them? Someone i did some subby work for said he had to have all his carbs rebuilt and saws retuned to get the to run on aspen. Just checking what actually needs to be done. Currently running  echo 2511 tes & Wes, stihl 200t, echo 501, stihl ms361 & 461, and echo 8002, stihl bg86, and echo hedge cutter and pole saw. 

cheers all

I started using it in my saws a few years back and never had any fuel line problems. I had to richen the L screw on a couple and speed tick over to get them to idle but that's no problem.

Edited by peatff
  • Like 2

Same as above; have run all machines on 2 or 4-stroke Aspen for years now.  Never had a problem except for needing a fuel, line in the early days in an already old saw.

As Stevie says you'll thank yourself for the change and very quickly come to the conclusion that you have crossed a one-way line - there's no going back to filthy 2-stroke (or 4-stroke if applicable).

• Like 3

10 hours ago, tim361 said:

I’m looking into changing over to Aspen and just wondering if it’s as simple as just filling the saws up and running them? Someone i did some subby work for said he had to have all his carbs rebuilt and saws retuned to get the to run on aspen. Just checking what actually needs to be done. Currently running  echo 2511 tes & Wes, stihl 200t, echo 501, stihl ms361 & 461, and echo 8002, stihl bg86, and echo hedge cutter and pole saw. 

cheers all

There is a coating on the rubber components to keep them supple . Pump fuel slowly stacks the rubber and removes that coating but the petrol itself keeps it supple until eventually it dissolves . This takes a number of years .  The Alkylate fuel does not do this so if you switch over to Aspen or similar after running a machine on pump fuel for a long time the Aspen  can show up the damage caused by the pump fuel . If the saw is not very old it is usually not a problem . I changed all the rubber components in my older saws as a precaution but not in the A/T saws as they are not so old . I have had no probs at all . 

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve finally got round to picking up a load of the 5l cans from our local supplier. After another week of choking on fumes I’d had enough. What do you do with the empty cans, can they be recycled?

I've also bought an Echo Dcs 2500t, lovely little saw to use. Would highly recommend it.