Value of this Tree?

Stuarts

IMG_6220.jpgIMG_6221.jpg

I might have this dead oak to mill up in situ. I just wondered what would be a fair price for it. It is dead obviously and has some wood dust on the outside from pests but is solid as far as I can tell.

The main trunk to mill is approx :

1.3m wide

6m tall

Any idea or calculations for value would be helpful. Thanks.

They should pay you to mill it.

As it is now you have no idea what may lie in that timber.In addition to which do they expect you to fell it for free?

Ask £450 for felling and milling and they can sell the planks for the huge sum I guess they think they are worth.

• Like 4

Hi thats a dificult one its worth what somebody is willing to pay for it if yoy have to fell it and deal with all the brash then its quite a lot of work before you even get to the milling stage you could offer some of the planks and some fire wood from the stuff thats too small to mill thats where I would start  will you have to remove all the arisings 

• Like 2

It’s on a huge private estate. It is just a tree I spotted and would like to mill based on the size of the tree. (of course no guarantees of it’s quality but in my experience even long dead oak can provide stunning timber) I know the owner of the land. I will keep the boards and utilise the big bows for beams etc. I will see if he wants the rest for firewood. I’m just interested in the trunk really and am going to make him an offer for it.

4 minutes ago, Stuarts said:

It’s on a huge private estate. It is just a tree I spotted and would like to mill based on the size of the tree. (of course no guarantees of it’s quality but in my experience even long dead oak can provide stunning timber) I know the owner of the land. I will keep the boards and utilise the big bows for beams etc. I will see if he wants the rest for firewood. I’m just interested in the trunk really and am going to make him an offer for it.

Id offer £200 based on the fact its you wanting the timber and the land owner not fussed about having it dropped. 

There is a fair bit to consider here, can it be straight felled ? or looking at it it has some top on it, how much damage cane you get away with round it ? if its to be partly dismantled thats time, the scare at about 7-8 ft looks suspect ? if you get it down and its rotten do yo still have to pay for it ? it could be some very expensive firewood!, if it was me i would walk away and look else where for a couple of logs that are down all ready and can be inspected for rot etc, as Trigger said at £200, if it was sound but you will not know that till you put a saw in it, that price would be ok, work your costs out and what you could possably get back out of it, the dessision is yours, 

• Like 1

IMG_6220.thumb.jpg.ed5e41b4d582d36d5ba7d41485c728c9.jpgIMG_6221.thumb.jpg.814cf2ed18b20be13ae9f045c70510ce.jpg

I might have this dead oak to mill up in situ. I just wondered what would be a fair price for it. It is dead obviously and has some wood dust on the outside from pests but is solid as far as I can tell.

The main trunk to mill is approx :

1.3m wide
6m tall

Any idea or calculations for value would be helpful. Thanks.

Not a lot.
1. It’s leaning. The planks will either warp or split.
2. It’s got a hole in it. (Bad sign)
3. There’s 100,000 oak logs already on the ground in yards all over the country.
4. It’s expensive.
5. If it’s not forest grown, it’ll almost certainly contain nails etc.

Whereabouts are you based?
Lots of foresters on here sell logs.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

If you want to take the chance,at least work out your costs for the job and bid them that.

Then if it works out in your favour,then it's all a bonus.

You can NEVER be sure what's in a tree and most people won't pay a premium for huge slabs,since two medium slabs edged and laid side by side look as good or better.

Plus they are hugely easier to plane,dress,move etc.