Advice on Ash Tree

lux

The more mature trees seem to be able to resist it for the longest, however many we left at the top of the Downs whilst taking out the younger stuff that had died have now a year later succumbed themselves. There's also been a real mix in how brittle the tops are, from still springy to shattering into a million pieces when they hit the deck.

However, there do appear to be a few resistant trees out there.

I'd say the main consideration as regards taking action now or letting it take a chance is whether you can stunt fell it?

• Like 1

The more mature trees seem to be able to resist it for the longest, however many we left at the top of the Downs whilst taking out the younger stuff that had died have now a year later succumbed themselves. There's also been a real mix in how brittle the tops are, from still springy to shattering into a million pieces when they hit the deck.

However, there do appear to be a few resistant trees out there.

I'd say the main consideration as regards taking action now or letting it take a chance is whether you can stunt fell it[emoji6]

Ha no stunt fell on this one. The trunk is staying to get carved if I dismantle it.
Where abouts are you based ?

Thinking about the bark cracks, came up with this
https://arbtalk.co.uk/forums/topic/32284-what-is-this-cracking-in-this-ash-bark/#comments

It doesn't look like it's been reduced before, what I've seen a few times is ash which has been reduced then left alone sprouts up and the sprouts break. I'd be tempted to just monitor for a while unless you really need to.

2 hours ago, lux said:

You Aren't far from me (haslemere), Tree in question is in Lurgashall.  Continual felling of Ash, some, of it I have to say rather pointless and was more a case of local authorities tree departments using up budgets to ensure they get the same or more in following budget years. 

The clients land is the same as everywhere else, peppered with die back, we have a few to take out and cut back limbs on the next visit there. Most of them are woodland trees that border fields so no rush to fell them all immediately. This one is a bit more prominent and its a nice tree so just trying to be thorough and investigate how critical the bark splits are, I'm still not any wiser as to what exactly they are. 

How are you fixed work wise atm? Im desperate to find some extra subbies local to me if its of any interest at all. Alf (hunting hicap) is local and with us quite regularly. Perhaps a pub in the middle of us 3 could be located and sampled !

..... You said 'pub'... ?

Edited by Khriss
?️

2 hours ago, lux said:

You Aren't far from me (haslemere), Tree in question is in Lurgashall.  Continual felling of Ash, some, of it I have to say rather pointless and was more a case of local authorities tree departments using up budgets to ensure they get the same or more in following budget years. 

The clients land is the same as everywhere else, peppered with die back, we have a few to take out and cut back limbs on the next visit there. Most of them are woodland trees that border fields so no rush to fell them all immediately. This one is a bit more prominent and its a nice tree so just trying to be thorough and investigate how critical the bark splits are, I'm still not any wiser as to what exactly they are. 

How are you fixed work wise atm? Im desperate to find some extra subbies local to me if its of any interest at all. Alf (hunting hicap) is local and with us quite regularly. Perhaps a pub in the middle of us 3 could be located and sampled !

Thanks for the offer but I am retired from full time cutting ( 68 years old and body knackered ) . I do a part time driving / portering job for the Nuffield hospital in Chichester .

• Like 2

This may come across as an advert, but thats not the way it is intended. I just want people to think of all of the avaliable options and to realise that cutting branches off trees isnt the only option when it comes to managing them, especially in the long term.

Instead of reducing the tree, and making lots of wounds all over the crown, weakening the trees health system and reducing its ability to photosynthesize. In turn reducing the ability to defend from pests and diseases.

Why not look into deep root de-compaction followed by mulching the base of the tree with a good mix of compost and biochar. 

Applications of biochar have been shown to help reduce the infection rate of dieback on ash trees and the de-compaction and mulching will only improve the soil and rooting conditions.

2 hours ago, Arboraeration said:

This may come across as an advert, but thats not the way it is intended. I just want people to think of all of the avaliable options and to realise that cutting branches off trees isnt the only option when it comes to managing them, especially in the long term.

Instead of reducing the tree, and making lots of wounds all over the crown, weakening the trees health system and reducing its ability to photosynthesize. In turn reducing the ability to defend from pests and diseases.

Why not look into deep root de-compaction followed by mulching the base of the tree with a good mix of compost and biochar. 

Applications of biochar have been shown to help reduce the infection rate of dieback on ash trees and the de-compaction and mulching will only improve the soil and rooting conditions.

I'm all in favour of anyhting other than the knee-jerk reaction of felling/pruning which you'll mostly get on a site for people who make their living off felling, pruning and firewood. In this case it would only be appropriate I think if compaction was already part of the problem, nad een then (as in all cases) if the tree benefits (over remaining life expectancy) outweighed the cost.