Advice on Ash Tree

lux

7 minutes ago, lux said:

That would be fine if it had obvious signs of dieback.

You said it had " minimal signs of die back " these I presume ( rightly or wrongly ) were obvious to you or you would not have posted as such .  In my experience , just as an observer , these " minimal signs of die back " become more than minimal  till eventually its the only thing happening . I don't mean to be harsh but when it all started ( became news )  I saw trees with minimal signs and 3/4 years later some did not flush the next spring yada yada yada ...

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 3

You said it had " minimal signs of die back " these I presume ( rightly or wrongly ) were obvious to you or you would not have posted as such .  In my experience , just as an observer , these " minimal signs of die back " become more than minimal  till eventually its the only thing happening . I don't mean to be harsh but when it all started ( became news )  I saw trees with minimal signs and 3/4 years later some did not flush the next spring yada yada yada ...

It has the odd dead twig in the crown. In fairness commensurate with the age of the tree and certainly not in the same form as other obvious dieback victims on the land there. The crown is pretty decent looking which stands in its favour. I would expect to see far more obvious signs in the crown before any effect on bark of major limbs. ( other than small lesions).
I’ve got plenty of ash trees in my woods. Some with advanced dieback but stood next to ash with no visible signs. Some trees show resistance / resilience to it as we know.
Put it this way. These sorts of long fissures occur in bark on many trees. Forget it’s an ash tree and say it’s a cherry or any other tree. What would be a probable cause to those fissures in that circumstance?

15 minutes ago, lux said:

It has the odd dead twig in the crown. In fairness commensurate with the age of the tree and certainly not in the same form as other obvious dieback victims on the land there. The crown is pretty decent looking which stands in its favour. I would expect to see far more obvious signs in the crown before any effect on bark of major limbs. ( other than small lesions).
I’ve got plenty of ash trees in my woods. Some with advanced dieback but stood next to ash with no visible signs. Some trees show resistance / resilience to it as we know.
Put it this way. These sorts of long fissures occur in bark on many trees. Forget it’s an ash tree and say it’s a cherry or any other tree. What would be a probable cause to those fissures in that circumstance?

Yes . I understand your thinking  I too have seen trees in woodland with obvious die back and one stood next to it with minimal signs and the next one has it .  I don't know why the splits are there  ( I have heard some people saying ash are just doing what ash do , what ever that means ).  Regardless of the splits , if it has it it is doomed sooner or later . I take no pleasure in this and sincerely hope that there are some resistant trees and the keys are harvested .  Round here , West Sussex / Hampshire all ash that is roadside or foot path side has been or is being felled to mintage the risk of danger to Joe public . It is an unhappy situation . 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stubby said:

Yes . I understand your thinking  I too have seen trees in woodland with obvious die back and one stood next to it with minimal signs and the next one has it .  I don't know why the splits are there  ( I have heard some people saying ash are just doing what ash do , what ever that means ).  Regardless of the splits , if it has it it is doomed sooner or later . I take no pleasure in this and sincerely hope that there are some resistant trees and the keys are harvested .  Round here , West Sussex / Hampshire all ash that is roadside or foot path side has been or is being felled to mintage the risk of danger to Joe public . It is an unhappy situation . 

You Aren't far from me (haslemere), Tree in question is in Lurgashall.  Continual felling of Ash, some, of it I have to say rather pointless and was more a case of local authorities tree departments using up budgets to ensure they get the same or more in following budget years. 

The clients land is the same as everywhere else, peppered with die back, we have a few to take out and cut back limbs on the next visit there. Most of them are woodland trees that border fields so no rush to fell them all immediately. This one is a bit more prominent and its a nice tree so just trying to be thorough and investigate how critical the bark splits are, I'm still not any wiser as to what exactly they are. 

How are you fixed work wise atm? Im desperate to find some extra subbies local to me if its of any interest at all. Alf (hunting hicap) is local and with us quite regularly. Perhaps a pub in the middle of us 3 could be located and sampled !

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, lux said:

You Aren't far from me (haslemere), Tree in question is in Lurgashall.  Continual felling of Ash, some, of it I have to say rather pointless and was more a case of local authorities tree departments using up budgets to ensure they get the same or more in following budget years. 

The clients land is the same as everywhere else, peppered with die back, we have a few to take out and cut back limbs on the next visit there. Most of them are woodland trees that border fields so no rush to fell them all immediately. This one is a bit more prominent and its a nice tree so just trying to be thorough and investigate how critical the bark splits are, I'm still not any wiser as to what exactly they are. 

How are you fixed work wise atm? Im desperate to find some extra subbies local to me if its of any interest at all. Alf (hunting hicap) is local and with us quite regularly. Perhaps a pub in the middle of us 3 could be located and sampled !

Count me in mate 

I think It would live on for decades apart from getting ash dieback eventually and they seem to survive ok....

Tends to be alot more solid inside than looks from outside when you fell them

Good for habitat also....

DSCF0287.jpg.de2b054eb88a778251381a225ea765ee.jpg

Yes I pretty much agree