pushing around a twin axle Vs single axle trailer

Dilz

Considering a small tipping trailer. 

Alot of the jobs where I use a small trailer are tight access, or the trailer has to be taken off due to parking. 

Currently use a small 8x5 single axle 

Looking at a 10x5 twin axle but conserned it will be a reet PITA when having to shunt it by hand, and for hitching back up, especially on solo jobs. Just wondering if there is good reason for my concerns. 

Weight of the trailer is about 750kg. 

2 minutes ago, Dilz said:

Considering a small tipping trailer. 

Alot of the jobs where I use a small trailer are tight access, or the trailer has to be taken off due to parking. 

Currently use a small 8x5 single axle 

Looking at a 10x5 twin axle but conserned it will be a reet PITA when having to shunt it by hand, and for hitching back up, especially on solo jobs. Just wondering if there is good reason for my concerns. 

Weight of the trailer is about 750kg. 

You need a reversing camera .

• Like 2

The perfect solution that I've considered but my lack of knowledge on the subject holds me back. How do you rig an aftermarket reversing camera that doesn't take up a load of your mirror/dashcam screen the whole time?  Factory fitted ones are presumably wired into the gearbox to display only when in reverse gear.

5 minutes ago, nepia said:

The perfect solution that I've considered but my lack of knowledge on the subject holds me back. How do you rig an aftermarket reversing camera that doesn't take up a load of your mirror/dashcam screen the whole time?  Factory fitted ones are presumably wired into the gearbox to display only when in reverse gear.

You wire to reverse light to activate only in reverse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Those shiney things on the side of your truck should let you see the trailer to back up to it square on. ? If the hitch is at the right height you can go steady till it touches the ball get out and wind it up then roll back the last inch and jobs a good un.

Seriously there not bad to move empty, wind the front up to get the weight on one axle and you will turn it easy. Full it’s hard regardless of the number of axles.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nepia said:

And are mounted in the tail gate of the pickup . Well mine is .

28 minutes ago, Will C said:

Those shiney things on the side of your truck should let you see the trailer to back up to it square on. ? If the hitch is at the right height you can go steady till it touches the ball get out and wind it up then roll back the last inch and jobs a good un.

Seriously there not bad to move empty, wind the front up to get the weight on one axle and you will turn it easy. Full it’s hard regardless of the number of axles.

I learnt to reverse properly, who needs mirrors when you are hanging halfway out of the driver's door? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Secret with twin or tri axle is to wind down the jockey wheel until there is only the back wheels touching the ground and then they are easy to manoeuvre... I move a huge tri axle by myself doing this.

Absolutely,  I was taught that but @buffalo606 a couple of years back. Works a treat.

Edited by Mick Dempsey