Big Ash tree needs felling

Cadno

2 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

All i'd say is I spent 23 years or so climbing trees and I can't think of many individual trees that came in over the 2k mark.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't have been...  I have lost count of the times I have ended up underpricing big trees, especially with limited access.. You end up working your nuts off for peanuts..  But it does sound expensive...

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Cadno said:

I have a huge Ash tree in the garden (Cardiff). It’s been assessed as suffering from early dieback and Inonotus Hispidus, and has to be felled.  Looking for a competent tree surgeon. Anticipating some outrageous quotes, any guidance would be appreciated.

john (07974571270)

67135BF1-296E-4EF9-AE4C-BB59DE9B6809.png

Ok let’s keep it simple...we have seen the photographs of the tree,house and the guy has explained access so let’s have it,I have stood up to the plate and have given this guy a guide price of around £2k to £2.5 what he should be looking at to remove the tree and stump grinding given the information supplied so what price would others would be quoting just for a variation for the job poster to work on.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

Ok let’s keep it simple...we have seen the photographs of the tree,house and the guy has explained access so let’s have it,I have stood up to the plate and have given this guy a guide price of around £2k to £2.5 what he should be looking at to remove the tree and stump grinding given the information supplied so what price would others would be quoting just for a variation for the job poster to work on.

You said 1200 to 1400 on the first page.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Just keep in mind all the comments on prices here are based on photos. They can often be deceiving.

All i'd say is I spent 23 years or so climbing trees and I can't think of many individual trees that came in over the 2k mark.

I will state the obvious 20yrs ago things were cheaper. And time goes by things cost more..??

9 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

You said 1200 to 1400 on the first page.

Yes I did mike your correct but that was if I was local and just for tree take down and didn’t include stump grinding which he has since mentioned.my apologies for confusion.putting a readable sentence together isn’t my best practice.

• Thanks 1

Thing is with grinding...

That tree is at least 4 ft across at the base, plus there’s a lot of raised soil around it.

You can’t get a decent machine in there so it’s a pedestrian or a little tracked one.

Ash isn’t the easiest wood to grind.

It’s as good as a day to grind even if you leave the grindings, if you remove arisings they’ll be a transit load of grindings minimum, plus you’ll need a couple of barrows and a couple of blokes.

Grinding price wise, thick end of a grand.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Thing is with grinding...

That tree is at least 4 ft across at the base, plus there’s a lot of raised soil around it.

You can’t get a decent machine in there so it’s a pedestrian or a little tracked one.

Ash isn’t the easiest wood to grind.

It’s as good as a day to grind even if you leave the grindings, if you remove arisings they’ll be a transit load of grindings minimum, plus you’ll need a couple of barrows and a couple of blokes.

Grinding price wise, thick end of a grand.

Something that size would look beautiful with a couple of pot and a bird table on it. Be a shame to grind it?

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

22 hours ago, 5 shires said:

Depending on access and if you want to keep the wood or not and I would charge something around £1’200/£1’400

36 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

Yes I did mike your correct but that was if I was local and just for tree take down and didn’t include stump grinding which he has since mentioned.my apologies for confusion.putting a readable sentence together isn’t my best practice.

So 1200 for easy access and keeping the wood, or 1400 for difficult access and wood removal?

Ill pay for your travel expenses to go and do that tree, if you do the tree, including removal of branches and wood (no grinding) for £1400/ 3 men in a day!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

So 1200 for easy access and keeping the wood, or 1400 for difficult access and wood removal?

Ill pay for your travel expenses to go and do that tree, if you do the tree, including removal of branches and wood (no grinding) for £1400/ 3 men in a day!

I said if I were local that would be the price..who said anything about difficult access and wood removal.?