Lockdown - has it totally failed?

Squaredy

11 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

Cindy kept 5 flights a day from China landing in NZ up to two weeks before the lock down.

Medical experts basically told her they needed to lock down because she had left the gate open this long and there was no other choice.

She failed to quarantine an Island in the middle of an Ocean and you strangely think she has guts?

How much free Money has it taken for you to vote Labour? 

In the week before our lockdown we had less than 10 new cases a day being found, and they were coming in from all over the world,  The USA, Iran and europe etc as well as china

When that figure started to increase (you know when there was evidence) she put NZ in lockdown. 

World leaders could make one of 2 hard decisions

Save the economy but kill off people

Save the people but kill the economy

Most leaders seem to have tried to do both, and have failed to save either.

We have had to date, 21 deaths here. 

And Jacinda nationally has a 90% approval rating for her handling of the pandemic. Maybe her timing wasnt perfect but she did better than most world leaders I can think of. Not a failure

The "Free money" I gave to my staff, along with the money I paid them. I had paid a tax bill many times greater than that I had paid a month earlier so it was swings and roundabouts.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Timbermcpherson said:

In the week before our lockdown we had less than 10 new cases a day being found, and they were coming in from all over the world,  The USA, Iran and europe etc as well as china

When that figure started to increase (you know when there was evidence) she put NZ in lockdown. 

World leaders could make one of 2 hard decisions

Save the economy but kill off people

Save the people but kill the economy

Most leaders seem to have tried to do both, and have failed to save either.

We have had to date, 21 deaths here. 

And Jacinda nationally has a 90% approval rating for her handling of the pandemic. Maybe her timing wasnt perfect but she did better than most world leaders I can think of. Not a failure

The "Free money" I gave to my staff, along with the money I paid them. I had paid a tax bill many times greater than that I had paid a month earlier so it was swings and roundabouts.

NZ's GDP is minute. GDP is 200B. The Uk's is 2.85T. 

Although interestingly enough the GDP per capita is virtually the same. 

41 minutes ago, Timbermcpherson said:

And Jacinda nationally has a 90% approval rating for her handling of the pandemic.

Not a failure

Compare New Zealand to Singapore, approx same population size, approx same number of covid deaths yet New Zealand is 374 times larger than Singapore. The 5 million strong Singapore population are crammed into a geographically microscopic area. 

New Zealand should've had zero deaths from Covid if you compare it to the high standards of Singapore's containment of WuFlu. 

Jacinda failed. 

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

You're annoyed at Golfers using the Village Golf Course they pay for because you cant take a stroll on the same Golf Course you may or may not be paying for? 

Surely they are well isolated from you and everyone else that does not play golf? 

So you can have free access to take a walk on the course? :D

Yes, you should. And let the Golfers Golf in peace. 

To be fair Andy you have missed my point.  I am objecting to the inconsistency.

As a family we could be fined for driving a couple of miles to a local forest for a nice walk on our own.  But golfers are driving illegally by the hundred to use the golf course in my village.

Of course golf should be allowed with sensible distancing.  And so should a family visit to the beach with social distancing.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, scotspine1 said:

Compare New Zealand to Singapore, approx same population size, approx same number of covid deaths yet New Zealand is 374 times larger than Singapore. The 5 million strong Singapore population are crammed into a geographically microscopic area. 

New Zealand should've had zero deaths from Covid if you compare it to the high standards of Singapore's containment of WuFlu. 

Jacinda failed. 

The benefit/negative ?‍♂️?‍♂️of a global media and the internet is that it allows the armchair experts to pass their opinions. 
The daily microscopic dissection of every single move governments are making driven in no small way by media hype is tiring to say the least. 
Meanwhile up here in Scotland we tiptoe at a snails pace Governed by saint Nicola of the lectern to some form of easing of the totally in ineffective lockdown. Scotland the brave ?????? Brave as long as the enemy in Westminster picks up the tab of course. 

Edited by Johnsond

Just now, Squaredy said:

To be fair Andy you have missed my point.  I am objecting to the inconsistency.

As a family we could be fined for driving a couple of miles to a local forest for a nice walk on our own.  But golfers are driving illegally by the hundred to use the golf course in my village.

Of course golf should be allowed with sensible distancing.  And so should a family visit to the beach with social distancing.

Yes, I agree. There should be consistency. It does should like your having a moan about the Golfers and would like to see them fined as well, or shut down. Surely your frustration should be directed st the government instead? 

38 minutes ago, scotspine1 said:

Jacinda failed. 

Oh your having to reach far to fail to make a point

Tell you what, you can live in Singapore, its a freaking police state. They still cane people, there are laws about not flushing toilets, chewing gum is bannned and being gay can get you years in prison. How many others can you name that did better? perhaps a space station somewhere? North Korea?

Jacinda did great

Edited by Timbermcpherson
  • Like 2

Just now, Timbermcpherson said:

Tell you what, you can live in Singapore, its a freaking police state. They still cane people, there are laws about not flushing toilets, chewing gum is bannned and being gay can get you years in prison. How many others can you name that did better? perhaps a space station somewhere? North Korea?

Im not sure what your point is but it seems to be that country's with high populations densities that are 'Police States' can abuse their population into controlling C-19 but countries that also have high population densities but importantly have a lot more civil liberties cant? 

And countries that have more Sheep than people can contain the spread of C-19. NZ has a population density of 18 per square km. Scotland has 70. Its little wonder NZ has had so few cases of C-19.