Lockdown - has it totally failed?

Squaredy

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

I have just been out driving around Newport to get a few bits for my elderly mum, and to be honest it looks like lockdown has ended.  I saw lots of social distancing going on, but I think even here in Wales it looks like most people have given up on the "Stay at Home" message.

Hardly surprising when garden centres, fishing venues, golf courses, KFC and Burger king and so on are all open.  

It is just a weird situation when we all know we are legally not allowed to drive around to places, yet most people clearly are.

I think they need to give up on lockdown and simply ensure social distancing.   Otherwise we risk having a load of rules that no-one respects or cares about, and they will lose all control then.

100% Agree 

Scotland is the same, I think the only ones whom believe an effective lockdown is in place are  the politicians. 
only thing they are achieving now is economic ruin. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Squaredy said:

It is really not difficult to use a telephoto lens and make a beach that may be a mile or two long look crowded.  OK we can see there are lots of people on the beach, but does that mean they are not social distancing?  It would be interesting to see drone footage from above to show how far apart those people really are.  

It is worth remembering the internet is full of twisted stories and click bait.  I think a beach is a perfect place to visit in lockdown, and as long as you respect people's personal space and don't start breaking the rules the risks are probably much less than shopping at Tesco.

My family would love to spend a day at a beach, and living in South Wales we are quite near to many enormous beaches, but we aren't allowed to.  Apparently it is safer to walk along local roads with no pavements, or cycle with two young kids on narrow lanes.

I can't speak for any other beaches but Southend was as rammed as the pictures suggest. I have plenty of friends who live there that confirm it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, felixthelogchopper said:

I can't speak for any other beaches but Southend was as rammed as the pictures suggest. I have plenty of friends who live there that confirm it.

I was not there Felix, so I will have to take your word for it, even though you also were not there.

My point is still very valid anyway.  The media love to create a story, and it is very easy to go the the end of a long beach and take a picture which makes it look as if hundreds of people are all close together.  This picture below is of a queue for a shop and they are all 2 metres apart.  Doesn't look like it does it?

Do you trust the media?!

different-perspective-telephoto-lens-vs-wide-angle-philip-davali-5eaa7be6a92a7__700 (1).jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Timbermcpherson said:

Ah so miguided and angry.

I have never worked in Dunedin, but I did buy a brand new truck this year.

With the lockdown here mostly lifted, we have 11 weeks work booked up. We are still doing social distancing in public and we are not completely out of the woods, but overall people I come across are very positive.

You sound quite justifiably proud of the success your Company enjoys.

You are not the guy I thought you were, apologies for the assumption.I mixed you up with a fella from Dunedin.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

I was not there Felix, so I will have to take your word for it, even though you also were not there.

My point is still very valid anyway.  The media love to create a story, and it is very easy to go the the end of a long beach and take a picture which makes it look as if hundreds of people are all close together.  This picture below is of a queue for a shop and they are all 2 metres apart.  Doesn't look like it does it?

Do you trust the media?!

different-perspective-telephoto-lens-vs-wide-angle-philip-davali-5eaa7be6a92a7__700 (1).jpg

You should put up the pic from the side that shows they are . I saw it last week .

19 hours ago, Squaredy said:

It is really not difficult to use a telephoto lens and make a beach that may be a mile or two long look crowded.  OK we can see there are lots of people on the beach, but does that mean they are not social distancing?  It would be interesting to see drone footage from above to show how far apart those people really are.  

It is worth remembering the internet is full of twisted stories and click bait.  I think a beach is a perfect place to visit in lockdown, and as long as you respect people's personal space and don't start breaking the rules the risks are probably much less than shopping at Tesco.

My family would love to spend a day at a beach, and living in South Wales we are quite near to many enormous beaches, but we aren't allowed to.  Apparently it is safer to walk along local roads with no pavements, or cycle with two young kids on narrow lanes.

I should of added that I have no problem whatsoever with anyone going to the beach, park etc as long as they do it distancing, in fact I think it is a must to get out and fell really sorry for those cooped up in high rise flats in city centres. The issue I have is with lazy, ignorant, selfish people, who mindset is because they dont give a fck then its tuff shit on everyone else. Someone mentioned about said above type of person patting a security guard on the back, I do hope he was punched in the face for that and maybe if there is a vaccine he would be struck off the list.

"My family would love to spend a day at a beach, and living in South Wales we are quite near to many enormous beaches, but we aren't allowed to" I think I would be sneaking out as that seems ridiculous!

Since it now seems highly unlikely that anyone is contracting this virus from touching surfaces it seems that it can only really be caught from being in close proximity to a carrier.

3 minutes ago, Stubby said:

You should put up the pic from the side that shows they are . I saw it last week .

Well perhaps you can, as I don't know which pic you mean. 

But again it makes no difference to the point.  The press are very good at putting a twist on things, and we all need to keep our wits about us, and not get sucked in to hysteria and half facts.  I am sure some lack of social distancing was going on, and I do not condone this, but I do not trust the press to give a balanced picture.

Just now, Squaredy said:

Well perhaps you can, as I don't know which pic you mean. 

But again it makes no difference to the point.  The press are very good at putting a twist on things, and we all need to keep our wits about us, and not get sucked in to hysteria and half facts.  I am sure some lack of social distancing was going on, and I do not condone this, but I do not trust the press to give a balanced picture.

I don't know were I saw it now but it showed your pic and then the same pic taken at right angles to the Q and they are all at least 2 M apart .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

I think I would be sneaking out as that seems ridiculous!

Yes I agree it is ridiculous, but the police are patrolling the beaches here in Wales - well the ones we could get to with a short drive anyway.

16 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Do you trust the media?!

No, I generally don't trust the media until it's verified by more than one source. I do, however, believe my friends as they have no interest in politics and so no bias to serve. It must be odd to feel that you don't trust your friends to tell you the truth.