Extended social distancing

Rough Hewn

6 hours ago, Silverhooker said:

just how much muff diving would she need to do to be considered "committed" to being a lesbian ??

I remember you saying you were a consultant at your local hospital, maybe the modern ones talk like this. Or you're a lower grade NHS. You never replied to my question about what is known about treating Covid-19 associated atypical pneumonia with high dose steroids. 

56 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

But I'll assume that this assistance you're providing is done so following the correct procedures regarding social distancing, right? 

It's not easy Andy. Social distancing is a two way thing. Trying to help a slightly muddled ex sub mariner who at times forgets he is supposed to be keeping 2m apart is difficult. Dad backs me into corners when I am over there sorting things out. Also there is more to stopping it spread than just social distancing. We take all his deliveries which we clean before giving them to him, all the food shopping gets cleaned, paper and mail gets set aside in a hot space before taking it over etc etc. Even harder keeping him safe when my better half is treating Covid 19 patients so a higher risk of us being carriers. 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

I remember you saying you were a consultant at your local hospital, maybe the modern ones talk like this. Or you're a lower grade NHS. You never replied to my question about what is known about treating Covid-19 associated atypical pneumonia with high dose steroids. 

There is an international trial on steroid use in Covid about 5000 patients entered but too early for any conclusion. Hope that answers your question.

I am a consultant and am allowed a sense of humour too.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

It's not easy Andy. Social distancing is a two way thing. Trying to help a slightly muddled ex sub mariner who at times forgets he is supposed to be keeping 2m apart is difficult. Dad backs me into corners when I am over there sorting things out. We take all his deliveries which we clean before giving them to him, all the food shopping gets cleaned, paper and mail gets set aside in a hot space before taking it over etc etc. Even harder keeping him safe when my better half is treating Covid 19 patients so a higher risk of us being carriers.

I cant imagine its easy for you a all. But its quite worrying that you're in such close proximity to these vulnerable people when your wife is actually treating infected patients. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, if anyone is going to infect them it surely must be you? If there really is no one else to look after these older ones have you considered isolating yourself from your missus? 

2 minutes ago, Silverhooker said:

There is an international trial on steroid use in Covid about 5000 patients entered but too early for any conclusion. Hope that answers your question.

I am a consultant and am allowed a sense of humour too.

I have been googling it, and saw the chinese, and italians had tried prednisolone or similar on covid patients, sort of improvising, while it knocks down the inflammation it also suppresses the immune system, so some of these patients take longer to clear  the virus.  I thought you may have shared some insight into the mechanisms involved

5 hours ago, Woodworks said:

You serious? That will lead to hundreds of thousand s of our most vulnerable dying prematurely plus plenty of the rest of us.

I buy into this old saying "How a society treats its most vulnerable is always the measure of its humanity." Time for us to show our humanity IMO

This is in some respects true but more measures need to be put into place to protect those whom are being hit financially, the loopholes within the systems put in place so far are huge. Many myself included are earning zero with no chance of any assistance. Currently I’m living off what in reality is funds that belong to HMRC not me. I’ve 2 options they are give all I have to said HMRC and bring myself under the threshold that would allow me to get assistance or carry on as I  am looking after my family and paying my mortgage, bills etc. Council tax is in now I see no sign of a break from that ?‍♂️. The end result may well be that we save many of the most vulnerable but the prospect of losing my house is somewhat altering my perspectives of the whole way this is being handled.   Policies and assurances need to be put in place that at the end of this people’s homes are protected. No doubt taxation will go up and with it the aggressive third party contractor methods used in its recovery. Many will come out of this with no ill effects physically or financially. A sizeable numbed will sadly die but an even greater number will be reduced to virtual servitude if the current methods of tax recovery and penalties etc upon self assessed individuals are put back into place as soon as the lockdown is eased. 
The saying you quoted is indeed valid but also there is nothing as cruel as Mother Nature, Death is a part of life and the most vulnerable you mention are sadly often neglected and die in significant numbers with no publicity. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Silverhooker said:

It’s not my scope of expertise, I’m a cancer surgeon, but you are correct in your post. The trick is identifying who needs them and when to give them. Steroids are a balancing act between benefits and side effect.

Cancer surgeon, suppose need a bit of light hearted gossip sometimes, cant always have your  head buried in technical journals. Those sarcomas - no time to hang around waiting. Deadliest lumps known to mankind