Who’s going to work today?

bggc

11 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

I'm not contesting the countries track record. I used to live and work there so I'm far, far from ignorant to the ways in which the country works. I don't need to hear them from you.

But tarring an entire nations people with the same brush 'filthy Chinese' is unacceptable and disgusting language.

I know this is taking the thread off topic a bit and I apologise to the bystanders, but I just don't think it's ok to stand aside and turn a blind eye to this kind of thing.

I promised myself I wouldn’t react any more of your post on this subject but reading the news this morning it looks like China is going to face dyer consequences over the outbreak and there handleing of the Coronavirus and world leaders getting together to decide how to carry it out and has warned China it could come a pariah state.

i may not be a politician but if they are echoing what I said yesterday we’ll just maybe I was wright and you were wrong to defend them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

I promised myself I wouldn’t react any more of your post on this subject but reading the news this morning it looks like China is going to face dyer consequences over the outbreak and there handleing of the Coronavirus and world leaders getting together to decide how to carry it out and has warned China it could come a pariah state.

i may not be a politician but if they are echoing what I said yesterday we’ll just maybe I was wright and you were wrong to defend them.

I think you are exaggerating the regard with which China regard the west. The Chinese own half of Africa now, and with the African subcontinent developing as an emerging market (as well as 1.3 billion Indians), we in the west are a declining market. 

I dearly hope that we see an improvement in animal welfare in China. Not simply for the preservation of our own species, but simply for the sake of the poor animals involved. It's just a different culture, with a different moral compass and whilst it's not possible to draw direct parallels with Western Civilisation, it wasn't that long ago that we had concentration camps or America had the institutionalised barbarism that was slavery. Give them time. 

We expect the rest of the world to develop morality in accordance with our own views on the matter. Quite apart from the fact that such a view is extremely arrogant, we forget that we've had two millenia to steadily form our national identity, our moral compass. This has coincided with a more organic adoption of new technologies and philosophies. And we often conveniently forget that Britain had a spectacularly prominent role in exploiting the world for it's own gain during the 18th, 19th and 20th century, bringing our version of 'civilisation' to cultures that we perhaps not yet equipped to have it thrust upon them.

I say this with the proviso that I in no way defend some of the morally abhorant cultural practices found China (such as live food markets) but that the situation is in no way black and white and we have played our role in their histories and we are certainly far from innocent in the matter.

• Like 10

11 hours ago, carlos said:

what about the ten thousand dead in italy alone!!!??? is that all down to the way the filthy Italians live!

i think the blame game is a road to nowhere and face the fact this virus is calling the shots the world over.

self preservation , social distancing, isolation and care for the vunerable is the way forward not racist generalizations imo.

carl

Well, certainly didn't wash their hands enufff! 

Actually as its an Airborne  respiratory illness tha volume of anti bacteria mouthwash still  on shelves speaks volumes abt our perceptions. (  i started on it soon as) 

But its a lovely sunny sunday here so will go to shed n get the pitchforks and flaming brands out....... K

• Like 1

On 25/03/2020 at 19:04, the village idiot said:

There was boffin on radio 4 today saying that the govt needs to be careful how many people in the population they stop from working.

There is a very real risk that in an overly severe economic shutdown scenario we will see more lives lost as a result of the shut down than are saved by protecting people from the virus.

It's a complicated old situation.

Did you listen on to Majeed on wireless yesterday?

Prof of Risk Management presented a case that at or beyond a 6% reduction in GDP, the adverse impact on life expectancy would would present a worse outcome than C19 predicted fatality impact. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Did you listen on to Majeed on wireless yesterday?

Prof of Risk Management presented a case that at or beyond a 6% reduction in GDP, the adverse impact on life expectancy would would present a worse outcome than C19 predicted fatality impact. 

No I didn't listen on, but I have heard others making the same point.

It highlighted for me the fact that there are precious few straightforward decisions in life, especially decisions involving millions or billions of people.

Everything is complicated, and anyone floating simple 'one size fits all' solutions to a country's issues should be subject to scrutiny.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Big J said:

I think you are exaggerating the regard with which China regard the west. The Chinese own half of Africa now, and with the African subcontinent developing as an emerging market (as well as 1.3 billion Indians), we in the west are a declining market. 

I dearly hope that we see an improvement in animal welfare in China. Not simply for the preservation of our own species, but simply for the sake of the poor animals involved. It's just a different culture, with a different moral compass and whilst it's not possible to draw direct parallels with Western Civilisation, it wasn't that long ago that we had concentration camps or America had the institutionalised barbarism that was slavery. Give them time. 

We expect the rest of the world to develop morality in accordance with our own views on the matter. Quite apart from the fact that such a view is extremely arrogant, we forget that we've had two millenia to steadily form our national identity, our moral compass. This has coincided with a more organic adoption of new technologies and philosophies. And we often conveniently forget that Britain had a spectacularly prominent role in exploiting the world for it's own gain during the 18th, 19th and 20th century, bringing our version of 'civilisation' to cultures that we perhaps not yet equipped to have it thrust upon them.

I say this with the proviso that I in no way defend some of the morally abhorant cultural practices found China (such as live food markets) but that the situation is in no way black and white and we have played our role in their histories and we are certainly far from innocent in the matter.

Was only quoting what has been said and not my words...and yes I know never believe what the papers say but I do think that it is about time these wet market ps are banned and you can tell me if i’am wrong but the powers that be in China are in the process of doing exactly that...they will need to do something to appease the west who they do vast amounts of trade with and I believe that out of everything bad what happens in this world it’s is the catalyst for something good to come out of it.

50 minutes ago, Big J said:

China was advanced long before we were, they have had more than enough time to get their act together,

We may have had a major impact on many undeveloped countries in the past, for good and ill I would argue, but China ain't one of them. 

• Like 1

Anyway enough of all this disagreement and back to the point in question..who’s going to work today? Well not me as since this past week I seem to be the only one in my close who has been to work all week my garden is looking shit...you can tell who hasn’t been to work by just looking at how tidy the gardens are and all the fencing what has been painted...I got today to catch up.

• Like 3