New (covid 19) year's resolutions?

Big J

Given that we're most of us going to have a fair bit more time this year with the escalating shutdown of society, how are you all planning to use your time constructively?

For me, I've been suffering with my back for a long time, and the only time it's been OK in the last 13 years was when I was weightlifting a couple of years ago (but I overdid it and injured other bits of myself). I'm going to work on a balanced and moderate exercise regime, with cardio and resistance training to generally improve my quality of life. This will hopefully sort my back.

I'm going to teach my girls German too, and hopefully improve my own German too. I'd like to start learning Swedish too as we have family there.

Nothing especially original, as there must be thousands of people wanting to get fit and learn another language, but it's what I'll attempt :D

• Like 4

Good positive thread J.

I’m looking forward to spending some quality dog training time, I haven’t been able to put the effort in recently.

The kids (8, 5 & 5) will be home schooled by us via email packs from the school.

We will have some kind of routine for that.

I’m looking forward to interspersing this with plenty of time in the woods doing useful stuff like jumping over streams and arguing about sticks.

Tree work will continue of course, but I’m aware that my mainly domestic work will slow down a lot.

I’ll be able to help the farmer who does so much for me with storage etc. with the lambing as well as other stuff down the line.

I hope it’s sorted by corn-carting, but realistically it probably won’t be!

Keeping fit is an obvious one, I’m pretty religious with my home gym stuff, but looking forward to dusting the mountain bike off.

Thank God the weather is picking up!

Sex.

I’m going to have loads of sex.

I haven’t told Ruth yet, like.

J have you tried yoga for your back?

Sorted my sciatica out a treat with a foam roller as an addition.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Stephen Blair said:

I’m still going to have to try and earn a living, whether that’s self employed or try and find some kind of work I don’t know yet.

Time with the kids, walking the dogs and generally keep out the way of people.

And how exactly is that a change for you Stephen?! ?

4 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

J have you tried yoga for your back?

Sorted my sciatica out a treat with a foam roller as an addition.

I haven't, but I did find weightlifting really, really helped, but I just overdid it and hurt my elbow tendons. Taking it easy this time.

I am in the process of building a new workshop in the garden with some Larch that I felled last year, it’s been on hold due to work so it will be a good opportunity to get it completed. If I have enough time I will also build a new Mook Jong as my old one is rather battered after 26 years of abuse. In between all this I have the small matter of learning French from scratch as my okay Spanish counts for nothing in Limousin.

• Like 2

This next few months might help to give people some idea of what life might be like under a potential new system like Universal Basic income?

Developments in AI and automation are destined to decimate the jobs market as much, if not more than this virus.

A bit less money coming in, but more time to focus on other rewarding activities.

My personal work routine won't change very much as I am effectively self isolated in the Wood.

Edited by the village idiot
  • Like 3

Gardening and growing more of our veg. Dad always took great pleasure in growing his own veg and I hope to find that same pleasure. Not to mention with the way the everyone is stockpiling some home grow food may be a bit more than just a cathartic exercise! 

• Like 2