Let’s see your pictures of spring.

Mick Dempsey

2 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

@sime42 why are frogs and goldfish mutually exclusive? I have both in my little pond.

Oh. I assumed that the fish ate the frog spawn and small tadpoles. We've tried introducing both a few times now, but to no avail.

Are French goldfish vegetarian or something?

8 minutes ago, peds said:

We'll do what we can 42, until we prevail or run out of things to try and preserve. 

I've noticed far fewer buzzing things around the garden centre so far this year, hopefully the warm weather will bring more of them about, but it seems like a slow start.

Good looking bee house, anyway.

Cheers. The lower bee house is a section of hollow Laburnum stem that I've got lying around. I was hoping to do something more artistic with it but so far function has prevailed over form.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Oh. I assumed that the fish ate the frog spawn and small tadpoles. We've tried introducing both a few times now, but to no avail.

Are French goldfish vegetarian or something?

Dunno, maybe our frogs are incomers every year. 
Plenty of both.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sime42 said:

Cheers. The lower bee house is a section of hollow Laburnum stem that I've got lying around. I was hoping to do something more artistic with it but so far function has prevailed over form.

Nice, I'm always on the lookout for nice hollow bits. I cut out and kept some rot pockets on the last few ash and sycamore I removed, I intend to turn them into bee, bird, and bat houses. Tempted to try hollowing out a big piece with some hot embers and a leaf blower. 

10 hours ago, peds said:

Nice, I'm always on the lookout for nice hollow bits. I cut out and kept some rot pockets on the last few ash and sycamore I removed, I intend to turn them into bee, bird, and bat houses. Tempted to try hollowing out a big piece with some hot embers and a leaf blower. 

Interesting idea. I'd foresee it being a bit arduous though with the ember and leaf blower approach. I think I'd drill out as large a hole as possible through the centre, and then enlarge it with fire. Similar to those crappy log candles. Set it smouldering then douse it out when it gets to the desired size.

Yeah, that sort of thing. Definitely needs a burnt finish to minimise further rot. Start it off with a variety of drill bits and the little saw, chisel, etc. 

Easiest to take a lid or a base off and tunnel it out that way, but I'll try and do the smaller ones through just the entrance hole.

Anyway, it's not exactly top of the to do list at the moment. One day.