Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
5 shires

New Addition

Recommended Posts

Hello All 

 

for those of you who are dog lovers and especially working dog enthusiast here is my new addiction,he’s a sprocker and he’s now 10 weeks old had him a couple of weeks now.

been looking for a working sprocker from good working stock and finally found this little chap in Anglesey,have called him “Weaver” and he’s got all the right actions and temprement to be a first class worker so it’s down to be to put the time in and get him to be as good as he can be.

Always had working English Spaniels and worked them and entered a few trials and done not to bad,my last dog passed away 5 years ago and broke my heart and swore I couldn’t go though that sort of pain again but I missed the frosty mornings during the winter getting all the kit ready and meeting up at numerous shoots to go beating and picking up.

so hear we are 5 years later and the hard work begins and so looking forward to it.

The only things I kept from my last dog was the whistles so have started buying all the training gear again,I just want to add a note to anyone who has been in my position and some may understand what i’am about to say,another reason I got”Weaver” is I found myself without any kind of focus apart from work,yes I have a son and a grand daughter but that doesn’t help give you a main focus.

I found myself working 7 days a week and not for the money which is always a good thing but mainly because I didn’t have anything else to focus on and put my mind to,so after 5 years and working weekends for no apparent reason apart from occupying mind mind I took the step of getting another working dog but at 57 (today is my birthday) I decided to get a companion as well has a working dog as he will be with me every day at work but a focus on weekends apart from just working and to do again something that I thought I couldn’t have done after my last dog “Rio” past away.

So here he is little”Weaver” to say hello to all his new friends on Arbtalk

 

C430F66A-1913-46DA-96CA-1C3F5779C829.jpeg

8E25178C-AF2A-47A3-8D53-BDD625E58B38.jpeg

Edited by 5 shires
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 5 shires said:

Hello All 

 

for those of you who are dog lovers and especially working dog enthusiast here is my new addiction,he’s a sprocker and he’s now 10 weeks old had him a couple of weeks now.

been looking for a working sprocker from good working stock and finally found this little chap in Anglesey,have called him “Weaver” and he’s got all the right actions and temprement to be a first class worker so it’s down to be to put the time in and get him to be as good as he can be.

Always had working English Spaniels and worked them and entered a few trials and done not to bad,my last dog passed away 5 years ago and broke my heart and swore I couldn’t go though that sort of pain again but I missed the frosty mornings during the winter getting all the kit ready and meeting up at numerous shoots to go beating and picking up.

so hear we are 5 years later and the hard work begins and so looking forward to it.

The only things I kept from my last dog was the whistles so have started buying all the training gear again,I just want to add a note to anyone who has been in my position and some may understand what i’am about to say,another reason I got”Weaver” is I found myself without any kind of focus apart from work,yes I have a son and a grand daughter but that doesn’t help give you a main focus.

I found myself working 7 days a week and not for the money which is always a good thing but mainly because I didn’t have anything else to focus on and put my mind to,so after 5 years and working weekends for no apparent reason apart from occupying mind mind I took the step of getting another working dog but at 57 (today is my birthday) I decided to get a companion as well has a working dog as he will be with me every day at work but a focus on weekends apart from just working and to do again something that I thought I couldn’t have done after my last dog “Rio” past away.

So here he is little”Weaver” to say hello to all his new friends on Arbtalk

 

C430F66A-1913-46DA-96CA-1C3F5779C829.jpeg

8E25178C-AF2A-47A3-8D53-BDD625E58B38.jpeg

He is a cracker . I have had 8 working cockers and 1 sprocker ( in my avatar ) . I would be worried about that tail if he is going to work in any bramble and rough undergrowth . I have seen tails a bloody mess on un docked workers . Good luck and happy birthday bud !

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Stubby said:

He is a cracker . I have had 8 working cockers and 1 sprocker ( in my avatar ) . I would be worried about that tail if he is going to work in any bramble and rough undergrowth . I have seen tails a bloody mess on un docked workers . Good luck and happy birthday bud !

Cheers stubby for that and yes I know Ref tail but it was out of my control on this occasion so just have to live with it and his parents were quite small so don’t think he’s going to be a big sprocker so hopefully all good....you should be a mind of information Regards gundog trianing..I have always had springers form the badger court  strain over 30 odd years,first time with a sprocker but wouldn’t think training methods are any different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

Cheers stubby for that and yes I know Ref tail but it was out of my control on this occasion so just have to live with it and his parents were quite small so don’t think he’s going to be a big sprocker so hopefully all good....you should be a mind of information Regards gundog trianing..I have always had springers form the badger court  strain over 30 odd years,first time with a sprocker but wouldn’t think training methods are any different.

A little and often is my thinking . When he is very young his attention span is very short . If you over do it he will get board and forget all that went before .  A small treat when its done and try to finish on a high . I kept mine on a lead ( extending type ) for the first 8 or 10 months , or until he will come back on the whistle .  Also you can train him to return on the whistle off the lead in any kind of natural or man made " corridor " so there is no chance of him veering of with a distraction .  You probably know all this anyway ........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cracking looking dog Wayne, I'd  take that toy pheasant off him, he looks like he could become possevive. That paw/leg protecting it is a sure fire signal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stubby said:

A little and often is my thinking . When he is very young his attention span is very short . If you over do it he will get board and forget all that went before .  A small treat when its done and try to finish on a high . I kept mine on a lead ( extending type ) for the first 8 or 10 months , or until he will come back on the whistle .  Also you can train him to return on the whistle off the lead in any kind of natural or man made " corridor " so there is no chance of him veering of with a distraction .  You probably know all this anyway ........

Hi stubs...yes all under control,had my first dog in 81 made lots of mistakes while learning had good schooling from game keepers and my one and only favourite gundog training book,Training Spaniels By Joe Irving.

got my dogs to a above average standard and started of entertaining the game keepers gundog section of the shooting times and it opens the doors to other things such as invites to shoots all over the country,have done trials at,Windsor,sandringham,holkham,Blenheim,Weston Park, And smaller local ones.

just looking forward to getting back into it..just the basics for the next 6/8 months then progress I don’t need to tell you what’s involved as you know the hours what will need to be spent out training and humanising him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Cracking looking dog Wayne, I'd  take that toy pheasant off him, he looks like he could become possevive. That paw/leg protecting it is a sure fire signal.

He is not protecting the toy it’s just the way he woke up which is the only time he sits still or when he is actually asleep and that’s all it and is nothing to do with any kind of training he is a million miles and months away from any of that.he is not my first working dog and what I have seen so far he has a very good chance of being a very good working dog..the rest is down to me....I may even just post on here every now and again and update on his progress.

Edited by 5 shires
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

He is not protecting the toy it’s just the way he woke up which is the only time he sits still or when he is actually asleep and that’s all it and is nothing to do with any kind of training he is a million miles and months away from any of that.he is not my first working dog and what I have seen so far he has a very good chance of being a very good working dog..the rest is down to me....I may even just post on here every now and again and update on his progress.

Ok, I'll take your word for it. I'd take it off him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.