New Addition

5 shires

14 minutes ago, Wedgebanger said:

All I can say is.He is an..Awesome looking dog.. I’m sure he will serve you well...

Thanks wedge...it took me quite a while to decide what to do and what to get...i made the decision not to go for another black & white English springer so decided on a black sprocker.

i wanted him from good working lines and not from a breeder so found this lovely young farmer couple in Anglesey who put there springer bitch to Ian opensahaws field trial champion cocker Mallowdale xfactor..had to go through a process of telling them what I was going to do with him,were I lived and if I was going to work him as they were only letting the pups go to a working home and environment.dispite some short sited comments on here I do actually know what i’am doing.

And had a lot of success with my other dogs,only small issue as stubs pointed out is the length of his tail but to be quite honest it won’t be a big concern.

Like I said i’am thinking of doing a thread to up date his progress over the next year or two.?

Edited by 5 shires
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, 5 shires said:

Hello All 

for those of you who are dog lovers and especially working dog enthusiast here is my new addiction,he’s a sprocker and he’s now 10 weeks old had him a couple of weeks now.

been looking for a working sprocker from good working stock and finally found this little chap in Anglesey,have called him “Weaver” and he’s got all the right actions and temprement to be a first class worker so it’s down to be to put the time in and get him to be as good as he can be.

Always had working English Spaniels and worked them and entered a few trials and done not to bad,my last dog passed away 5 years ago and broke my heart and swore I couldn’t go though that sort of pain again but I missed the frosty mornings during the winter getting all the kit ready and meeting up at numerous shoots to go beating and picking up.

so hear we are 5 years later and the hard work begins and so looking forward to it.

The only things I kept from my last dog was the whistles so have started buying all the training gear again,I just want to add a note to anyone who has been in my position and some may understand what i’am about to say,another reason I got”Weaver” is I found myself without any kind of focus apart from work,yes I have a son and a grand daughter but that doesn’t help give you a main focus.

I found myself working 7 days a week and not for the money which is always a good thing but mainly because I didn’t have anything else to focus on and put my mind to,so after 5 years and working weekends for no apparent reason apart from occupying mind mind I took the step of getting another working dog but at 57 (today is my birthday) I decided to get a companion as well has a working dog as he will be with me every day at work but a focus on weekends apart from just working and to do again something that I thought I couldn’t have done after my last dog “Rio” past away.

So here he is little”Weaver” to say hello to all his new friends on Arbtalk

C430F66A-1913-46DA-96CA-1C3F5779C829.jpeg

8E25178C-AF2A-47A3-8D53-BDD625E58B38.jpeg

keep us updated on his,and your progress,he looks a wee cracker.

17 minutes ago, struie said:

keep us updated on his,and your progress,he looks a wee cracker.

11 minutes ago, Mushrooms said:

Happy birthday for yesterday. I think you’ve got your self a lovely new companion 

Annie

Thank you sturie & Annie I will be posting updates on here how Weaver progresses during his training and post photographs of him growing up,most of it will be gundog related which is not quite Arb but because he will be with me every day at work am sure I will be able to mix it in with tree related issues.

it definitely won’t be in the same league as silky’s thread he has it down to a fine art but I’ll do my best,thanks for birthday wishes Annie.

Weaver will be with me at the Arb & APF shows in next year so anyone who follows this can catch up with him.?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 5 shires said:

Thank you sturie & Annie I will be posting updates on here how Weaver progresses during his training and post photographs of him growing up,most of it will be gundog related which is not quite Arb but because he will be with me every day at work am sure I will be able to mix it in with tree related issues.

it definitely won’t be in the same league as silky’s thread he has it down to a fine art but I’ll do my best,thanks for birthday wishes Annie.

Weaver will be with me at the Arb & APF shows in next year so anyone who follows this can catch up with him.?

as an x keeper 5 shires will be very keen to keep up with your shooting days albeit a bit in the future,but also with the wee fellas training,been thinking about a cocker for a wee while now,have a yellow lab,and she is brilliant,6yrs old now,a good all rounder, had english springers before,had to tie up a leg on the shooting days though.lol.

Just now, struie said:

as an x keeper 5 shires will be very keen to keep up with your shooting days albeit a bit in the future,but also with the wee fellas training,been thinking about a cocker for a wee while now,have a yellow lab,and she is brilliant,6yrs old now,a good all rounder, had english springers before,had to tie up a leg on the shooting days though.lol.

ps,sula is out with me on every job since she was 7weeks,lies their well out the way watching every cut,or should i say supervising.haha.

18 minutes ago, struie said:

15 minutes ago, struie said:

ps,sula is out with me on every job since she was 7weeks,lies their well out the way watching every cut,or should i say supervising.haha.

I wanted to be a game keeper from when I first remember but never had the opportunity as I came from a single parent home and as soon as I left school I had to find a job local to me to look after my mother and couldn’t do the years at college for game keeping at the time.

love training  the dogs and it opened up so many avenues because when you have a well trained dog you get lots of invites and get to meet some really nice people.

like you I always had Spaniels and always Black & White.

after I lost my last one 5 yrs ago I swore i wouldn’t have another as tha pian losing him was to much for me.

but here we are with my new little sprocker baby Weaver and the process starts again,dust of the starting pistol( even got dummie launcher now) and getting bits and pieces of kit together ready for when the real training starts.

will be a lot different now as i live alone and can spend as much time out with him without someone nagging at me about your dinner is cold we’re have you been...absolute bliss.?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

I wanted to be a game keeper from when I first remember but never had the opportunity as I came from a single parent home and as soon as I left school I had to find a job local to me to look after my mother and couldn’t do the years at college for game keeping at the time.

love training  the dogs and it opened up so many avenues because when you have a well trained dog you get lots of invites and get to meet some really nice people.

like you I always had Spaniels and always Black & White.

after I lost my last one 5 yrs ago I swore i wouldn’t have another as tha pian losing him was to much for me.

but here we are with my new little sprocker baby Weaver and the process starts again,dust of the starting pistol( even got dummie launcher now) and getting bits and pieces of kit together ready for when the real training starts.

will be a lot different now as i live alone and can spend as much time out with him without someone nagging at me about your dinner is cold we’re have you been...absolute bliss.?

well i had a mix of labs n springers,just loved watching them work,especially on grouse,you can see everything thats going on.i was very lucky with the keepering ,at 15 landed a job as kennel boy under a gentleman as my headkeeper,who has sadly passed.this was on monteviot estates,after around 4 yrs was given one of the home beats which their were two.i worked directly under the supervision of the second keeper jake,who sadly has also passed,after another year or so was moved out to one of the outer beats with a syndacate, but a couple of years later started getting itchy feet and joined up,to see a bit of the world,hmm canny say i was that impressed.lol.

2 hours ago, David Cropper said:

Why would you take it off him, Eggs? Don't understand your reasoning. It's the equivalent of a baby's comfort blanket. 

Weaver is a working dog that should retrieve game, and give it back to his handler, not be possevive over it. That paw over the toy shows him guarding the toy, it's not a good start.