New Addition

5 shires

5 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

Yes your spot on stub’sy his dad is a cocker who had the broader more rounded head rather then the more pointed you mostly get and his mother springer and she is a Bute.

All her pups were very pretty and all various colours and I must admit if I was able too I would have had “Weavers” sister..she had 2 White paws and a little smaller.

I have made that " mistake " twice ! Getting 2 pups from the same litter . Unless you have 24 hours to your self every day you will be in trouble . You have to take them out and train them separately for months until you can get them both to sit and stay when the other is working .  Will never do that again .

Edited by Stubby
  • Haha 1

Looking good Wayne, cracking positive start.

That lead is interesting, where from?

First shoot day last Saturday and it was very weird without Dutchie.

I was going to take the oldest pup (15 months) at the back end, but I might chuck her in a bit earlier and just keep her on the lead to see how she does.

That would also mean Ruth could do some solo work with the young pup, because as Stubby says you can’t train two at once!

It’s great having Weaver’s whole story on here!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Looking good Wayne, cracking positive start.

That lead is interesting, where from?

First shoot day last Saturday and it was very weird without Dutchie.

I was going to take the oldest pup (15 months) at the back end, but I might chuck her in a bit earlier and just keep her on the lead to see how she does.

That would also mean Ruth could do some solo work with the young pup, because as Stubby says you can’t train two at once!

It’s great having Weaver’s whole story on here!

Envy you first days out and ya I guess very strange without her,thanks for your comments and even though I do know what i’am doing I would never dream of giving anyone any advise on how or what do do with there dogs and even more so gundogs as there are many a varied way of training them,I have one book I have trained my dogs from a first edition training gundogs by joe Irving.

i have many more in my book case but apart from the basics they do seem to have there own way,having said that yes I would take your oldest pup out and see how she goes,it wouldn’t hurt her to see what it’s all about.

ya the lead is new it’s a fab idea and you can get them in single or double,just go ebay and put gundog equipment in or leads and quite a few do them mine was hand made for a £10er.

i do hope some of the Arbtalk lads and lasses will read it,I will try and keep it informative with some Arb thrown in were I can,at least when I start his training it will be in the woods we’re trees are so that’s a start?

29 minutes ago, Silverhooker said:

What a wee cracker, I’ve a lazy old Tibetan terrier that sleeps in the passenger seat and acts as supervisor, not done a days work in his life but I wouldn’t go logging without him ! 

Thanks Silver,A we love our dogs no matter what and am sure you wouldn’t be without him for anything in the world.

1 minute ago, 5 shires said:

Envy you first days out and ya I guess very strange without her,thanks for your comments and even though I do know what i’am doing I would never dream of giving anyone any advise on how or what do do with there dogs and even more so gundogs as there are many a varied way of training them,I have one book I have trained my dogs from a first edition training gundogs by joe Irving.

i have many more in my book case but apart from the basics they do seem to have there own way,having said that yes I would take your oldest pup out and see how she goes,it wouldn’t hurt her to see what it’s all about.

ya the lead is new it’s a fab idea and you can get them in single or double,just go ebay and put gundog equipment in or leads and quite a few do them mine was hand made for a £10er.

i do hope some of the Arbtalk lads and lasses will read it,I will try and keep it informative with some Arb thrown in were I can,at least when I start his training it will be in the woods we’re trees are so that’s a start?

I have the Joe Irving  book  but my Spaniels won't read it . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

Boom...I knew that was coming...fair play I walked into that on??

Plus keeping bits of raw tripe in my pocket does not go down too well at the knitting circle ?

Edited by Stubby
  • Haha 1

Just now, Mark Bolam said:

Nellie is doing very well so far, but short blasts of training aren’t a full day in the field for sure.

Definitely won’t hurt her to see what it’s all about, but I’m not going to work her full bore too soon.

Granted short sharp isn’t full on trianing but some dogs get bord very quickly when they are young as attention span can drop in an instant so in most instances short but informative training can be good...just my own opinion going by my dogs temperament and personality.

• Like 2