New Addition

5 shires

28 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

Thank you all for all your positive kind remarks and encouragement...I really like silkys thread and we are very good friends and I have thought for a while about doing something similar,Paul(silky) has got his down to a fine art and makes very good reading.

i know a lot of Arb guys and ladies love there country pursuits,gundogs,dog,shooting etc so thought I would do a thread about having a working dog as a pup and keeping updated on him growing up and training him and how he will evolve from a 9 week pup to a working dog and take it on though the trails and tribulations,the highs and the lows of trianing him.

i would hopefully think it would make good reading every now and again just like silkys posts have been over the last 4/5 years.

Thanks again for all your kind responses and like I said I will be bringing him to the shows next year so if anyone what’s to have a catch up or if you have even got a shoot we’re you could do with an extra dog and or beater he’ll be ready in a couple of seasons.?

If he is anything like one I had about 5 dogs back the thread will go on for about 15 years . She was a  tri color and worked in the beating line when we were in thick cover . ( no good in cover strips or open ground as she got on too much ) . she suddenly stopped on the last drive of the day and was all hunched up . Took her to the vets and they said she has hurt her back . Give her these tablets and rest her . I thought maybe its time to retire as she was 15 . Any way started on the tablets and after a couple of days she seemed ok . When the tablets ran out she got all hunched up again . Took her back to the vets and another vet looked  at her and said he thought she had major organ failure . He said leave her with us and we will treat her . The last thing that little dog saw was me putting her in a cadge at the vets and walking away . They phoned me the next day to say she had died .  I never used them again . I know she was probably going to die anyway but I wanted to be with her . The first miss diagnosis meant that , as far as she was concerned I had abandoned her . That dog gave me everything and more . I was in bits , guilty and angry at at the same time . 

Edited by Stubby
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, John Shutler said:

great thread, interested to see how it goes. ive got two paterdale terriers but my next dog will be a working cocker 

Hi john,terriers are great fun but having a decent working dog which you have trained yourself is a glorious site,especially when you a good day picking up or beating(picking up are mainly for the labs) the work horses are the Spaniels it’s what they are breed for.

i always had English Springers but decided this time to go for an sprocker.

4 minutes ago, Stubby said:

If he is anything like one I had about 5 dogs back the thread will go on for about 15 years . She was a  tri color and worked in the beating line when we were in thick cover . ( no good in cover strips or open ground as she got on too much ) . she suddenly stopped on the last drive of the day and was all hunched up . Took her to the vets and they said she has hurt her back . Give her these tablets and rest her . I thought maybe its time to retire as she was 15 . Any way started on the tablets and after a couple of days she seemed ok . When the tablets ran out she got all hunched up again . Took her back to the vets and another vet looked  at her and said he thought she had major organ failure . He said leaver her with us and we will treat her . The last thing that little dog saw was me putting her in a cadge at the vets and walking away . They phoned me the next day to say she had died .  I never used them again . I know she was probably going to die anyway but I wanted to be with her . The first miss diagnosis meant that , as far as she was concerned I had abandoned her . That dog gave me everything and more . I was in bits , guilty and angry at at the same time . 

Hi stubs know exactly how you feel buddy my last dog had a seizure on Xmas eve 2015 and had to take him to an all night vets and to be fair they were fantastic with him,they said organ failure was the diagnosis but said they could give him something to help him for a few weeks which I agreed to as I didn’t what to lose him on Xmas day.

Exactly 3 weeks later he gave up and took him to the vets were he feel asleep in my arms and of course didn’t wake up( very emotional even writing this)..that’s what they do to you..

i here what your saying Ref 15 yrs but I was thinking more like from now up to when he is as fully trained as I can get him to a really good standard at around 3/4.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All 

well it’s been a couple of weeks now since had my new Sprocker Pup”Weaver” and he is coming on really well,he has been with me every day at work for 3 weeks now and had his second jab last Tuesday so I have been able to let him out and about at work over the last few days.firstly though just want to mention last week and fire works and dogs and animals in general.

we had a few going off way before bonfire night/November 5th and I know a lot of people’s dogs are close to having heart attacks and it can’t be nice seeing your dog cowering under the nearest chair,settee or just barking all night.

so it was a good opportunity to see how weaver reacted to all the loud bangs and screeches and I must say he is fearless and didn’t bat an eyelid and just ran and played around the garden.

like I said he has been with me in the truck for the last 3 weeks but over the last couple of days he has been allowed out we’re i’am working and he is just a little star.

i have been trying to take some photographs but he just won’t keep still long enough and runs and plays none stop.

i have also introduced him to the lead which is a new one I have brought,and it’s a none twist one which is such a simple invention and a fab idea,I also got a new lanyard for my old whistles I kept from my last dogs(will show photographs below).

Anyway I did manage to take one photograph of him and as you can see he is growing and coming on well and humanising him is really easy when you work outdoors and in different locations most days.

i will try and take more photographs when I can and try and combine it with tree related items after all this is Arbtalk.

Today November The 12th 2019

80708895-8D99-4BE7-B878-5AD8B16511DC.thumb.jpeg.cc9dc067f9fee9977882f8f41d370e01.jpeg

New Working Lead None Twist 2 Sections

B7AE0675-31E9-4158-AC80-2C2F54702949.thumb.jpeg.5e29c726e610d788d7dd37b99754937d.jpeg

My Old Whistles On New Leather Lanyard

D30DCB9B-B312-4BB5-9F73-82EC2EB85A06.thumb.jpeg.bcd304071dc83f3fded4decef7f37889.jpeg

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

Hi All 

well it’s been a couple of weeks now since had my new Sprocker Pup”Weaver” and he is coming on really well,he has been with me every day at work for 3 weeks now and had his second jab last Tuesday so I have been able to let him out and about at work over the last few days.firstly though just want to mention last week and fire works and dogs and animals in general.

we had a few going off way before bonfire night/November 5th and I know a lot of people’s dogs are close to having heart attacks and it can’t be nice seeing your dog cowering under the nearest chair,settee or just barking all night.

so it was a good opportunity to see how weaver reacted to all the loud bangs and screeches and I must say he is fearless and didn’t bat an eyelid and just ran and played around the garden.

like I said he has been with me in the truck for the last 3 weeks but over the last couple of days he has been allowed out we’re i’am working and he is just a little star.

i have been trying to take some photographs but he just won’t keep still long enough and runs and plays none stop.

i have also introduced him to the lead which is a new one I have brought,and it’s a none twist one which is such a simple invention and a fab idea,I also got a new lanyard for my old whistles I kept from my last dogs(will show photographs below).

Anyway I did manage to take one photograph of him and as you can see he is growing and coming on well and humanising him is really easy when you work outdoors and in different locations most days.

i will try and take more photographs when I can and try and combine it with tree related items after all this is Arbtalk.

Today November The 12th 2019

80708895-8D99-4BE7-B878-5AD8B16511DC.thumb.jpeg.cc9dc067f9fee9977882f8f41d370e01.jpeg

New Working Lead None Twist 2 Sections

B7AE0675-31E9-4158-AC80-2C2F54702949.thumb.jpeg.5e29c726e610d788d7dd37b99754937d.jpeg

My Old Whistles On New Leather Lanyard

D30DCB9B-B312-4BB5-9F73-82EC2EB85A06.thumb.jpeg.bcd304071dc83f3fded4decef7f37889.jpeg

He looks a stunner

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, gary112 said:

He looks a stunner

Thanks Gary and going by your Avatar you got good company?he is just past 12 weeks old now and I can tell he is going to be a great little dg and a fab worker,he is fearless and the signs are very positive so I will be looking forward to when the training gets more serious but that’s a way of At mo,just basics at mo.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

Thanks Gary and going by your Avatar you got good company?he is just past 12 weeks old now and I can tell he is going to be a great little dg and a fab worker,he is fearless and the signs are very positive so I will be looking forward to when the training gets more serious but that’s a way of At mo,just basics at mo.

He is a good looker and I like the slightly broader head from the springer in him .

• Like 2

Yep no better friend than a good dog

38 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Stubby said:

He is a good looker and I like the slightly broader head from the springer in him .

Yes your spot on stub’sy his dad is a cocker who had the broader more rounded head rather then the more pointed you mostly get and his mother springer and she is a Bute.

All her pups were very pretty and all various colours and I must admit if I was able too I would have had “Weavers” sister..she had 2 White paws and a little smaller.

6 minutes ago, gary112 said:

Yep no better friend than a good dog

Ani’t that the truth Gary..we has dog lover and people know how unconditional there love and loyalty is and when you spend 7 days a week with them Includeing all day at work i’am sure that bond is even stronger.

• Like 1