the best water proof arborist jacket to date

markrufrider

Absolutely agree mate. If the moisture level outside the jacket is higher than inside, it can't simply dissappear. When I was prattling on about the others being less breathable I maybe should have said they were just a lot hotter. I know the moment I put the Harkie smock on I felt like a roast in the bag chicken. I was so hot, and nearly straight away. The moment I started to graft it was too much, I'd rather be wet from the rain than boiled alive. I found the Goretex the least warm is mayne a better statement. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I dropped the idea of waterproof outers altogether, I have tried all kinds of breathable/gortex outers, they all work fine if you aren’t moving that much, when your working on piece rate in Forestry they all fail, you end up so hot and wet with sweat from the inside, you take it off.

I moved over to the Buffalo System, used by SAS/Special Forces all over the world.

I have several jackets for different uses, the Special 6 is the one I work in most. They are not waterproof but don’t alter their warmth when soaked, and wind proof to 50 mph, the pretext outer dries off in no time, and vented to aid cooling.

You wear them tight fitting with nothing underneath, being soaking wet but warm takes a bit of getting used to.

• Like 4

That's commitment! I would probably have ripped the Buffalo off my back if I had to wear it for work! ? 

I think it ultimately boils down (no pun intended) to the individual user. I know that like you, the moment I put a waterproof layer on, the heat rises. I really struggle to cope with that, and have worked in the rain with no coat on plenty of times as it means I can complete the job. If I'd kept my coat on I'd have lost my marbles. Yet I know some lads who will wear one all day and be fine. They do the same work as me, but I guess I just run hot? 

• Like 2

tried the cut and climb, total crap and not waterproof,

i got a berghaus walking coat from a charity shop for a tenner, not goretex but quiet thick fabric, i was a bit dubious how long it would last for work but  its lasted for a good few years and is pretty waterproof and a good easy to put on desisgn, none of this over the head nonsense.

personally i wouldnt bother with the specific arb jackets as i think they are a bit over priced for there level of actual waterproofness.

carl

• Like 1

There is nothing on earth that will let sweat out WHEN it’s lashing down.
That is an undeniable fact of simple physics.
All the fancy technological names and advertising in the world won’t change that.
Completely agree Mark but some are better than others.

I have had the cut and climb and rate it highly, i just dont like smocks and the price.

Has anyone tried the cycling style waterproof jackets? They look good and breathable, quite tight fitting. And half the price of a cut and climb.

Has anyone tried the German police rain jackets? There’s a fella selling them around the marts and shows over here . A roofer friend of mine swears by them.

look very well made with a removable lining. Bought one yesterday €100.

no doubt I’ll know how waterproof it is before the week is out.

I have a couple.  Swazi Korona from NZ.  Also a cut and climb.

i like the Swazi for the colder weather and heavy rain as it has a skirt and is awesome in the snow.

Also don’t let the price fool you.  If you order from NZ site they drop the VAT and the price drops by a significant amount.  Add delivery and I paid a shade over 190 gbp and it arrived in a week.

I’ve had a cut n climb almost since Clark’s started selling them, very good with zipped vents but if it’s lashing down it comes in through the neck.

When I have to be out and it’s hammering down I have a Royal Navy heavy weather gortex job with a big hood which fits over my helmet, and nothing gets in it. One of my sons in law is in the navy and he managed to pikey it out of the Portsmouth stores for me.

He had to take that route,as I’m nearly twice his height and weight so it would have looked a bit fishy him asking the quartermaster directly for it.

• Like 1