Who here runs ported saws ?

Yngwie

7 minutes ago, Wonky said:

I can’t seem to understand reasons about insurance and ported saws.. when was the last time someone had to claim on insurance and they took the saw away to check it was legal and had all those stickers still on them. Maybe the safety police on the railways check guys over but are they going to notice a well tuned saw.
maybe it’s just too loud to use, but all saws are loud some are just a bit bigger & louder...

A ported saw is quite noticably louder!

I can’t seem to understand reasons about insurance and ported saws.. when was the last time someone had to claim on insurance and they took the saw away to check it was legal and had all those stickers still on them. Maybe the safety police on the railways check guys over but are they going to notice a well tuned saw.
maybe it’s just too loud to use, but all saws are loud some are just a bit bigger & louder...

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Ok mate, put up a video of your 660 "ported" saw,
I'm sure that double jungle muffler is a touch louder than stock.
[emoji12][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

It’s about PUWER Regs, if you modify a saw to improve performance outside of the manufacturers recommendations it could put you in that grey area, “Fit for purpose”.

A guy I met a while back does investigations for HSE as a professional witness in chainsaw accidents.
He said the first thing he checks are the depth gauges, I don’t think he would know the saw was ported unless he was told so or compared it with a stock version.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

A ported saw is quite noticably louder!

And more efficient use of fuel ,  More productive , more reliable , cut faster so IMHO safer . ( Chasing that hinge etc etc )

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 6

Higher noise, probably higher vibration, greater loading on the bottom end,increased loading on the chain brake, increase in chain speed beyond the capability of the trousers you are wearing, young apprentice picks it up, just an accident waiting for the insurance companies to jump on, HSE always gets involved in accidents, impounds the saw and sends to the manufacturer, who do you think is in trouble?

• Like 1