Who here runs ported saws ?

Yngwie

Just what we need, somebody using a top handle saw for ground work, just as the HSE said would happen, and fuel for them to ban it.

Is this a joke ? I climb trees for a living! Rich in the video is doing a test cut for me to see my saw before posting back to me in the uk ! He is Oregon in the usa in what way does this involve the HSE here [emoji23]

• Like 3

Ask them about using a saw with no working chain break. Ie a poorly maintained saw. I bet you get the same answer...

your just giving them a getout of jail free card..

i still dont see the insurance side to this debate. Ie your cutting a tree, and the tree falls on someone’s (enter text here)

its operator error in my book..

• Like 1

How about muffler mods, increase in emissions?

Theres bound to be an increase, but i bet its something and nothing really! Long as its tuned/set up correctly against what works been carried out, performance is smooth and blippy as it should be..... ?‍♂️ bet some saws rev cleaner in some cases!

2 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

I've just emailed my insurance group about working with ported saws.
I'll post their reply.
emoji106.png

I wouldn't. My other half works in the insurance industry and they just love people doing their dirty work for them. Say as little as possible. They're not there to help you. They're there to make a profit for their parent companies and stake/share holders. It is possible you may void your policy by admitting you use non certified modifications, whether it be tractor, van, car or saw. You may be notifying them of a potential added risk they were previously unaware of. Which they may either load your premium for, or discontinue cover for such items.

I'm still interested in what they say to you, best of luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

I wouldn't. My other half works in the insurance industry and they just love people doing their dirty work for them. Say as little as possible. They're not there to help you. They're there to make a profit for their parent companies and stake/share holders. It is possible you may void your policy by admitting you use non certified modifications, whether it be tractor, van, car or saw. You may be notifying them of a potential added risk they were previously unaware of. Which they may either load your premium for, or discontinue cover for such items.

I agree , I woodnt tell those “safety-crats” anything ...no need to put bullets in THEIR gun hee-hee 

I don't own or use ported saws,
But I have used a few briefly for test cuts.
Not faster chain speed but more torque, which means you can run a longer bar.
[emoji106]