Who here runs ported saws ?

Yngwie

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

I would say less vibes . Running faster, smoother , Out of that lumpy frequency range . 

How on earth could you argue less vibes?

The power in a potential kickback would undoubtedly be more powerful, especially to someone not used to running high performance saws. 

1 minute ago, Joe Newton said:

The power in a potential kickback would undoubtedly be more powerful, especially to someone not used to running high performance saws. 

My 346 feels as though it has less vibes than a stock one . Have you used a ported saw ?

• Like 3

Higher noise, probably higher vibration, greater loading on the bottom end,increased loading on the chain brake, increase in chain speed beyond the capability of the trousers you are wearing, young apprentice picks it up, just an accident waiting for the insurance companies to jump on, HSE always gets involved in accidents, impounds the saw and sends to the manufacturer, who do you think is in trouble?

I have to say ignorance is something that makes people nervous..
Who said increased chain speed from a ported saw, If you want a increase in chain speed fit a “buy over the counter” bigger sprocket. I for one don’t really like bigger sprockets for some applications

Let’s say the apprentice picks up a saw with full a chisel chain, but only used a semi chisel before . He could go whoo hoo, or oops..

When I did my cs31 I took a saw with full chisel, but did not like the way it cut when I was needing to be carful and accurate. So I went back to a semi. But for limbing/bucking up talk about a semi being slow...

One other thing that needs to be said,, I don’t let anyone use my saws, till I’ve told them how it runs.. ie sharp full chisel chain and 8 pin sprocket and maybe dual port muff ( optional accessory)

A lot of accidents happen when/with worker fatigue or poor work positioning.
Oh and I’m not picking on you... I’m just replying.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

the key here is a poorly kept saw chain has just as much if not more potential in knickback. 

a propper filed chain is smoother cutting than a poorly kept chain. 

A little more power and tourque means you can keep it cutting at a speed that’s smoother. Unlike when you force the chain to cut and the av is worked harder and the chain is slower. So you get more vibration to the worker.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wedgebanger said:

the key here is a poorly kept saw chain has just as much if not more potential in knickback. 

a propper filed chain is smoother cutting than a poorly kept chain. 

A little more power and tourque means you can keep it cutting at a speed that’s smoother. Unlike when you force the chain to cut and the av is worked harder and the chain is slower. So you get more vibration to the worker.

Exactly .

What is the point of this extra power when the saws i see have dirty air filters, blocked fuel filters, choked starter covers, loose nuts and bolts, cheap two stroke oil, knackered bars, and some very imaginative chain sharpening, most saws are not producing the power they came out of the factory with, sorry to all you lads who spend time on maintenance, but we don't see them very often, back to porting, its your money and your and your emploees health and safety, sorry got the right hump today.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, adw said:

sorry to all you lads who spend time on maintenance, but we don't see them very often, back to porting, its your money and your and your emploees health and safety, sorry got the right hump today.

That's why you don't see them very often Andrew ! ?

Both my 346xpg’s are ported, they still just about outperform my 550xpg mk2’s. They are the first saws I grab when I am cutting chestnut coppice.

They are always sharp, why wouldn’t a saw be? And I cut more, quicker and therefore expose myself to less time on the trigger, therefore less exposure to HAVS than my stock saws. 

No one else  picks up and uses my saws, no one, so no problem.

• Like 4