Sister in Law stitched up by the coppers !

Stubby

this is a similar story that some one I know told me ......even if your dog is on a lead it is not necessarily "under control "   also it is under YOUR control , therefore you are liable ... the case I heard was of clothing being damaged  ....personally I would tell the police to keep the dog and just get another one !!!!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

if a dog bites a chunk of flesh out your mothers ankle you'd be fine with that..   somehow I don't think so..   if the owner went on to tell you it was a lovely dog mostly I doubt it would cut any ice as well.

bear in mind this lady was in her eighties.. late seventies..

I used to train greyhounds for my father yrs ago, my job was to walk em out.. sometimes one sometimes three at a time..  believe me I knew to keep em under control.  never had any problems, even on the odd occasion someone else dogs would attempt to attack em..  hold the dogs behind me, and threaten to kick the other dogs in the nuts...   mostly people were besides themselves that their dog was attempting to get at the greyhounds..  I had great patience in those conditions as I knew they were embarrassed by their dogs bad behavior..  on the other hand if the dogs attacking were sturdy looking I'd be tempted to let my dog off the lead and let em ave it...

Firsty I know that getting in the middle of fighting dogs can result in a bite, as already said. If anyone got bit because of an unrestrained dog, well, I'd be wanting to cause GBH on the owner.

You are saying that you'd kick the dog, so because others (like my missus) wouldn't then they must have let their dog have enough leash to attack?

Have you thought that your experience is based on walking dogs when you were younger and probably fitter than Stubbys sister. I'm assuming that they are similarly aged, she may be weaker and only four foot tall for all I know) 

I think that it says something about you that you'd even consider letting your dogs go to get in a fight with another dog. Most owners wouldn't want to risk either (any)dog getting hurt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

Firsty I know that getting in the middle of fighting dogs can result in a bite, as already said. If anyone got bit because of an unrestrained dog, well, I'd be wanting to cause GBH on the owner.

You are saying that you'd kick the dog, so because others (like my missus) wouldn't then they must have let their dog have enough leash to attack?

Have you thought that your experience is based on walking dogs when you were younger and probably fitter than Stubbys sister. I'm assuming that they are similarly aged, she may be weaker and only four foot tall for all I know) 

I think that it says something about you that you'd even consider letting your dogs go to get in a fight with another dog. Most owners wouldn't want to risk either (any)dog getting hurt.

If a dog was off the leash aiming to attack my dog, I'd pull my dog behind me and get it out of danger.. then I'd make like I was gonna kick the offending dog to concentrate its mind so to speak..

if after all that it was still seriously attempting to bite my dog, I'd boot it in the nuts as hard as I could..  not to mention the owner...

You make a good point about Stubbies sister, didn't consider that...   but it does bring us back to the meat of the matter..   taking out a dog you can't control.      time Stubbies sister gave up having rescue greyhounds..  she needs to take on rescue dogs she can easily manage considering her age..

Its just bad luck its took an incident like this to prove a point..   only get a dog you can manage/control..    

If a dog was off the leash aiming to attack my dog, I'd pull my dog behind me and get it out of danger.. then I'd make like I was gonna kick the offending dog to concentrate its mind so to speak..
if after all that it was still seriously attempting to bite my dog, I'd boot it in the nuts as hard as I could..  not to mention the owner...

You make a good point about Stubbies sister, didn't consider that...   but it does bring us back to the meat of the matter..   taking out a dog you can't control.      time Stubbies sister gave up having rescue greyhounds..  she needs to take on rescue dogs she can easily manage considering her age..

Its just bad luck its took an incident like this to prove a point..   only get a dog you can manage/control..    

IMG_2796.jpg
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

She had it on the fucking lead ! Minding its own business . The small dog was out of control and attacked my sisters dog .  I think the police have hatched a complete cluster fuck . They took my sisters dog and kept it for a month . Then said to her if you pay the vet bill you can have your dog back . If they took it coz they deemed it dangerous her paying the vet bill doesn't suddenly make it not dangerous . No what they did was unethical and tantamount to blackmail .   Its just wrong .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

I would probably like to suggest a case against the Police, your sister in law could perhaps state that she felt pressured/blackmailed by the Police effectively holding her dog hostage, until/unless she paid up.

And unfortunately, I fear the Police are less concerned about correctly apportioning culpability, than getting a nice tidy hassle free "result", and fcuk the collateral damage.

Obviously legal advice is required.

Marcus

P.S.

Would a local MP's office be able to offer any advice or support, re the legalities?

Edited by difflock
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stubby said:

She had it on the fucking lead ! Minding its own business . The small dog was out of control and attacked my sisters dog .  I think the police have hatched a complete cluster fuck . They took my sisters dog and kept it for a month . Then said to her if you pay the vet bill you can have your dog back . If they took it coz they deemed it dangerous her paying the vet bill doesn't suddenly make it not dangerous . No what they did was unethical and tantamount to blackmail .   Its just wrong .

Your sister plainly hasn't the strength to keep the dog under control, the other dog is of no consequence..   her dog should of been restrained from biting the other dog, whether she likes to hear that or not..   thats the problem.   

she needs to reconsider having greyhounds, these dogs are extremely dangerous and shouldn't be considered as pets in my opinion..   especially for someone getting on in yrs..  

I'm not debating the merits of paying off a fine or compensation.. thats a different matter altogether..   but I'll chime in if you insist...

The point here is only keep a dog you have the strength to control..  whether your fifteen or goin on seventy...