Jump to content
Stubby

Sister in Law stitched up by the coppers !

Recommended Posts

In short . My sister in law rescues grey hounds . One at a time . This will be her 4th I think .  Walking him , on a lead , in the park . A handbag type dog rushes up to her greyhound snapping and barking . My sis yells at the woman to get her dog back and under control . The woman seems unable/unwilling to do so . Small dog ends up getting bitten by the greyhound . The woman gets bitten by her own dog as it is injured and distressed .  Small dog ends up at the vets for a day then dies . Police arrest my sis and take her dog away under the dangerous dogs act . One month later they say  ( the police ) she can have the dog back if she pays the 2K vet bill and signs some community order  or such like .  The small dog woman said the the grey hound was out of control and that it was that that bit her . Sis has a witness to say otherwise . Sis is so fed up not having her dog she agrees to pay up .  I did not think the police had the power to do do this . I would have gone to court , especially with a witness but hey ho sis wanted her dog back and move on . Thoughts ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your sister in law  has my full sympathy, BUT, are greyhounds not required to be muzzled , despite being on a lead.

That could have swung it against her.

Otherwise I, me, mesel, would have fought it, especially with a witness.

Marcus 

Edited by difflock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, difflock said:

Your sister in law  has my full sympathy, BUT, are greyhounds not required to be muzzled , despite being on a lead.

That could have swung it against her.

Otherwise I, me, mesel, would have fought it, especially with a witness.

Marcus 

I have seen some  muzzled but not all by any means  but don't know if its a requirement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I did not think the police had the power to do do this . 

They probably don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is why I commented, any I see being walked about our local village are always muzzled, and wor local blokes would not tend to be sticklers for the law, so there must be some leverage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just checked on line, not a requirement, but many people do, I have a mate in the UK who’s parents always have a Greyhound, which is always muzzled on walks.

 

As has been said, she has my sympathy, especially as she rescues them.

 

They are are powerful dog with fast jaws however.

 

Hope things work out for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, difflock said:

That is why I commented, any I see being walked about our local village are always muzzled, and wor local blokes would not tend to be sticklers for the law, so there must be some leverage.

Just googled it and its not law . Only a recommendation until you know your dogs temperament it says . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear that, where was the greyhound kept for the month? Could they confirm it's usually a placid dog?(presuming it is?) It's a common problem with the owners of smaller breeds, presuming because it's small it'll do no harm. The most dangerous and aggressive dog I know personally is a puggle.. sounds like an attempt at comedy but it's not.
If the handbag hound was off the lead, running loose and snapping and the greyhound on a lead.. which one is out of control? I may well have paid out to get my dog back too, but would not let it rest there. I would have some choice words for the police too, the greyhound was dealing with a threat and acting to defend itself and or owner. Dog size is not the issue, dog attitude is.20190101_134831.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know if I told this on here but a recent incident..

 

Walking Igor the Fox terrier a couple of months back on a regular track, passed a garden with a bull mastiff type in behind chain link fencing.

 

The mastiff charged the fence and burst through underneath, I managed to pull Igor back on the lead and sweep him up in my arms, the mastiff jumped up at me to get to him and just managed to injure his bollocks, claret leaking out, trip to the vet etc.

 

I was understandably furious, the female owner just giving some old flannel about their dog not being vicious blah blah.

 

Point is a big dog can kill a smaller one in seconds, if it had been my wife on her own it could have been very nasty.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Conor Wright said:

Sorry to hear that, where was the greyhound kept for the month? Could they confirm it's usually a placid dog?(presuming it is?) It's a common problem with the owners of smaller breeds, presuming because it's small it'll do no harm. The most dangerous and aggressive dog I know personally is a puggle.. sounds like an attempt at comedy but it's not.
If the handbag hound was off the lead, running loose and snapping and the greyhound on a lead.. which one is out of control? I may well have paid out to get my dog back too, but would not let it rest there. I would have some choice words for the police too, the greyhound was dealing with a threat and acting to defend itself and or owner. Dog size is not the issue, dog attitude is.20190101_134831.jpeg

Apparently they would not tell my sister in law were the dog was kept . This added to her anguish  I think .  She lives in Surbiton Surrey . I am down here in West Sussex  so could not help realistically .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.