Stick with HC or switch to ZZ?

Gnarlyoak

Everytime  I finish a climb I slide the zigzag back up to the spliced eye as im retrieving the rope so not being midline attachable is a non issue.

There will be a period of adjustment in your muscles when you switch to a smaller diameter rope but you will adjust, assuming you are reasonably fit and strong.  Do you wear gloves?  This makes a big difference to grip.

Also you will really notice the difference in rope drag between 11.7mm and 13mm.

• Like 1

My zz stays on my medium rope, real tiddlers I’ll use a Blake’s and if it’s a biggy I’ll swap the zz onto the long rope, no issues.

I left the zz on a job and had to use a Blake’s on a decent size tree on Friday.

It was ok if I’m honest, it’s not how quickly you get there, it’s what you do when you’re there that matters. 

I was sure to go back and get it this morning though!

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

I use the ZZ a lot and is a great bit of gear but when you get the VT right a HC I feel is just as good as a ZZ.

Saying that the ZigZag works the same every day what ever the conditioned.

I would go with getting the ZZ as a replacement if you want to try something new, but if you're someone that feels more comfortable climbing on a hitch then go for the HC.

There is also meant to be a new HC pulley being released soon that looks a good upgrade.

Also interested in the Zigzag when my 13mm new England is out of date. Just concerned, I love 13mm rope, does 11.7 feel much different when pulling on the hands? Is descent that much faster than a prussik? I was hoping they would have done a ZZ more suited to 13mm rope. Does it seem a pain on small climbs having to pass the whole rope through the ZZ? I normally just use a prussik and add a pulley on larger trees.

13mm on a zigzag is a nightmare. I watched my mate struggle with it for a few months before he changed to 11.7 mm
  • Like 1