Tipper or 4x4 with tipper trailer?

Jwoodgardenmaintenance

10 hours ago, daveatdave said:

I hate to think what this thread will be like in a few years time when there is only battery power available, maybe  how far will it pull a chipper/trailer 

There are already electric busses, it can't be a stretch to tippers. 

https://www.smmt.co.uk/2018/06/uk-gets-europes-biggest-electric-bus-fleet/

I would have thought a tree surgery truck would be one of the most suitable to be battery powered. We generally don't do many miles, so range isn't so important as long as it can pull a load. Canter already do a 7.5 ton hybrid. 

Back to the original post the best vehicle for domestic tree surgery on a budget is a 3.5 ton tipper.  Everything has compromises but the basic 2 or 3 man team with tipper/towed chipper combo is the the cheapest most efficient way to do tree works.  There are better ways that cost more or cheaper ways that are less efficient but in my experience 3.5 tonner is best value.

You do need to be able to drive it though..

Edited by benedmonds
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

sorry mr youtube, you don't know what you're talking about

Sorry Mr Bullman but I do...

I've been on this site long enough for you to know that if I opine on a subject, its means I'm right..  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, benedmonds said:

There are already electric busses, it can't be a stretch to tippers. 

https://www.smmt.co.uk/2018/06/uk-gets-europes-biggest-electric-bus-fleet/

I would have thought a tree surgery truck would be one of the most suitable to be battery powered. We generally don't do many miles, so range isn't so important as long as it can pull a load. Canter already do a 7.5 ton hybrid. 

Back to the original post the best vehicle for domestic tree surgery on a budget is a 3.5 ton tipper.  Everything has compromises but the basic 2 or 3 man team with tipper/towed chipper combo is the the cheapest most efficient way to do tree works.  There are better ways that cost more or cheaper ways that are less efficient but in my experience 3.5 tonner is best value.

You do need to be able to drive it though..

Cheers for the info appreciate it ☺ im really trying to get my license but struggle really bad with dyslexia and i cant get any help with my theory so its a matter of keep on trying and hopefully i will eventually pass it thats why for the miniute i have a lad working for me who can drive so im not completley stuck but would rather be able to drive myself

Well you type good English for a dyslexic; well done.

Perseverance will pay.  I know a lad in exactly the same situation a few years back; kept failing his theory because of his dyslexia but got there in the end.

Mind you he did recently lose the front left wheel off his Defender at 70mph on the M25 so maybe you should take a taxi! ?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

Cheers for the info appreciate it ☺ im really trying to get my license but struggle really bad with dyslexia and i cant get any help with my theory so its a matter of keep on trying and hopefully i will eventually pass it thats why for the miniute i have a lad working for me who can drive so im not completley stuck but would rather be able to drive myself

have you done one and failed..

if not research the subject till you're blue in the face, practice likely questions..,  get comfortable running through mock senarios....   I haven't done one myself but heard it isn't hard..   

somethin to practice on, familiarize yourself on whats expected..

• Like 1