Gaff out supremo

billpierce

Some comparison pics. I will probs have a go at sharpening the geckos but it sounds like it's just a stance thing. The kliens have a much steeper angle on the spike which looks to me like more of my weight will be pushed into the tree once you have stuck them in.

Hopefully i will get used to them!20181118_191853.jpeg20181118_191922.jpeg20181118_191936.jpeg20181118_192029.jpeg20181118_192110.jpeg20181118_192132.jpeg

You shouldn't need to stamp your feet into the stem or have ultra sharp gaffs. I've sharpened my geckos forehand so they have a point on the side but the bottom of the gaff is fairly flat. The shallow bottom angle means that the gaff sits in the timber almost at 90° from a normal stance and doesn't peel down like some tend to. I'll try and get a photo tomorrow

Bill, the gaffs on the geckos sit considerably higher on the shank than the kleins. That's bound to make a difference to your spiking as you're 10 years+ on the kleins, could be worth considering buying replacement pole gaffs for the kleins then adding on the Klein hydra cool pads to improve comfort. Get another 10 years on them....

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/pole-tree-climbers/hydra-cool-climber-pads

The gaffs on the kliens do look narrower and the angle of them looks straighter ..just a matter of getting use to them ..like Joe said they don't need to be ultra sharp your weight should be enough....just put off snatching out that 100 ft beech butt till your happy on them [emoji21][emoji21][emoji21][emoji16]

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

No, I don’t see that Stubs, it’s the weight of the climber.

My Distels seem to gaff out when I’m closer to the tree, moving around as opposed to standard spiking up a trunk/ringing down.

As I said maybe the angle is slightly more acute.

My experience too.  My  Distels do seem to seem to work better if I am slightly further away from the stem than I would have been in my american Buckinghams.

• 4 weeks later...

Been on ye olde kleins for a decade or so, got some used ally geckos recently as was curious if more comfort could be found.

Yes, more comfortable but gaffes out about 6 times of a wee holy dismantle so swapped back to kleins for rest of day which I have never sharpened in 10years.

Do I

A) just need to grow a pair and stick at it, stance is different and I'll get used to it. Seem to recall gaffing out alot when I had a go on steins x2 and some treehogs, so could def just be me.

B) need to sharpen them. If so please point me to useful video/thread or give an incredible description of how

Thanks20181117_152623.thumb.jpeg.97262b0e6b9e84c342522fec31fe9bb0.jpeg20181117_152643.thumb.jpeg.c3f1c41442be9beaf06992167f688ff5.jpeg20181117_152700.thumb.jpeg.8f92dedbd490d4142babc0d7e8c96c6d.jpeg20181117_152724.thumb.jpeg.908faee8c55d9475e90a3ec27548c81e.jpeg20181117_152736.thumb.jpeg.8b1ceca0292525ebcc5a248a878fee14.jpeg

I had the same experience when I bought the carbon version some years ago. They came with those dreadful cranked over spikes installed. Swapped the spikes for euros.....so much better.
Have you seen the Buckingham Gaff sharpening kit? I bought one a while back for around £25 and have found it invaluable for those odd occasions when you find you're gaffing out.
It allows you to re-measure the angles of yours spikes and get them back to factory settings. I'm not in agreement that spikes don't have to be sharp personally, the sharper they are the easier the spike 'planes' into the wood fibres on the correct angle and the more secure your footing.

Aye well I think I have the American shorts on them by the looks of it. Had another few days gaffing out every 10mins. Will be selling them, cant be bothered to change technique, never had any bother on the kleins, just a bit achy after days and days stood on them. Will look out for some posh pads for them I guess.

Ally geckos about a year old £150 if anyone wants them?

Thanks for all the tips

• Sad 1