Dead elm removal

DanBous

Have done a few big elms , not many or in the league as my father ... can either be rock hard and solid or a pithy mess that breaks up when you fart on it, some times both and have had a few catch me out either felling or dismantling.

Just go steady and read the tree.. it does work nice on the hinge as been said !

• Haha 1

Matty has a good point, a lot depends on how dead.

The middles always go before the sapwood, irrespective of the state of the bark.

I would normally say bin the throwline and spike from the bottom so you can feel how sound the tree is.

The thing is, a lot of dead elms we have done have been swamped in ivy, so the throwline is quicker....

Never climbed a big one though, 60’ to the tips would be the biggest.

The lads on 3-strand dealt with the monsters 30 years ago.

Thank fuck.

This one I had to dismantle to a stick to fit in a gap. I remember trying to swing a limb around rigging over a wall .. the limb started folding over nicely then just crumbled up and most dropped straight down before swinging .. going through dry stone wall! And leaving a 1ft section hanging on the rigging line... rest of the tree up until that point had been as hard as nails !
IMG_3933.jpg
Since or before I’ve never had that happen on a dead tree and I would of least expected it to happen on elm!
Watch them felling too! IMG_3936.jpg

• Like 3