Abandoning our ex forces

stihlmadasever

21 minutes ago, agrimog said:

some very interesting points coming out here, one side ex military who have seen the raw side, and on the other non military, who will only have what the media showed, unfourtunatly most of these people will never understand as to which point your normality goes and you become a machine, eat, sleep, fight, and literly shit, when you are told to, hours, days, even months of this does something to your brain, you adopt a different outlook on life, then WHAM your dumped back into cvillian life and expected to conform to a different set of rules, and any transgression........your a danger to society, the very society that took, trained, used then dumped you, with no thought of how you might react, it is a great tribute to the magority of vetrans that  they have re-assimilated back into "normal civillian"life with no problems, the few stories that are making the news are only the tip of an ever growing iceberg, and IT IS going to come back and haunt the goverments of this country for a very very long time

16 minutes ago, agrimog said:

and before anyone asks, yes I am ex military,  and  ex civillian contractor to mod, and been involved in most of  the conflicts of the last 30 years, and if asked now would  do It again, the simple answer would be f**koff, for some rich bast**d to get richer, no chance,   with age comes knowledge, which I wish I had  had acsess to all those years ago.

2 fantastic posts agrimog, which totally mirrors the same opinions as i do.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Vespasian said:

I'm talking about young men who think they might have PTSD and not those who genuinely have it..  

Vesp, 

I know it's counter-intuitive to your habitual trolling but try concentrating your intellectually retarded mind for a moment. 

Post traumatic stress disorder in soldiers returning from combat is a very identifiable and verifiable form of psychosis.

These men are changed individuals and their identities are altered from the time they were subject to the psychological rigors of warfare to returning back to a normalised life. 

Some have the resilience to adjust their personalities back to a somewhat normalised state, others sadly do not. 

• Like 6

On 15/10/2018 at 23:24, Vespasian said:

Perhaps the army attracts a higher percentage of young men who would never easily fit into civilian life to begin with..   its why these men join up in the first place..

when they leave the services, its the easiest thing in the world to say they're suffering from PTSD..  When in fact they might be better served to tell em to pull their boots up and man up to the job of getting on in the real world..   

clean your room, make your bed and get out the door, look for a job....    and by the way, if you leave a job, get sacked from a job, you don't expect your ex employer to keep an eye on you do you..

Don't get me wrong I'm all for the army helping out genuine cases of psychologically damaged individuals who've fought on the front lines..  but I think every man and his dog is using PTSD as cover for the shortcomings that they had previous to being in the army to begin with..

Un believable .

• Like 1

My uncle Bob  (  One of my Mum's brothers )  long since dead,  I remember had shrapnel in his body . It moved about and some times came to the surface and had to be removed . He was in  and out of hospital all the time I knew him . I am sure , now I think back, that he suffered from PTSS  . He was a lovely man but there was something in the back ground that I perceived   but did not understand as I was only 8 or 10 years old . At that time PTSS was not really heard of or understood . 

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

Just to pick up on the earlier point about previous conflicts and whether they were hard as nails, my wife's great grandfather died in 1920 from alcohol poisoning, her great uncle went up the fields in 1919 and shot himself. Nobody called it PTSD but they were never right when they came back from the trenches.

I am not ex forces so no direct experience but I do think as a country we have a responsibility to our veterans, whether it's best done by the MoD or NHS or charity or someone else I'm not sure.

• Like 2

I think a few who have posted on this thread may doubt the amount the military alters people with or without conflict thrown in to it. For the humble grunt it's effects are most apparent, the news shows us this. 

For example; 

march this year me and my mate stood in my yard chatting before locking up for the day. Some clown of a policeman was in the police range in the quarry a mile up the valley. He fired a burst of automatic from something substantial. 

Instantly me and my mate crouch and head towards cover, pointing in the direction of the noise screaming contact. Millions would have looked in the direction of the odd noise and thought nothing of it.

So even for me and him who don't have PTSD or other equally fun and exciting mental disorders, luckily for us, we have reactions which we can't forget. Noises, smells, etc evoke reactions for everyone in every walk of life, for some of us some of those reactions are peculiar to others. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Just to pick up on the earlier point about previous conflicts and whether they were hard as nails, my wife's great grandfather died in 1920 from alcohol poisoning, her great uncle went up the fields in 1919 and shot himself. Nobody called it PTSD but they were never right when they came back from the trenches.

I am not ex forces so no direct experience but I do think as a country we have a responsibility to our veterans, whether it's best done by the MoD or NHS or charity or someone else I'm not sure.

I think they should be looked after by the MOD.

kept in work(or off work but still in the forces) so they can be looked after for as long as needs be. 

As it’s not anyone’s fault where they are sent, nor it it their fault how they react to it!

Edited by Richard 1234
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Chris Day said:

Noises, smells, etc evoke reactions for everyone in every walk of life, for some of us some of those reactions are peculiar to others. 

I can completly relate to this.

Loud noises make me angry,

not sustained noise like a chainsaw but sudden bangs etc

I get really angry...

Dont know why

Im also prone to bouts of feeling low,not depressed just very negative like i will find the bad point in any positive situation.

Thats from my forces back ground,

i know it is, but ive got the tools to deal with that and i can cope.

I dont proffess to understand ptsd but i  sympathise for those who suffer.

Bloody awful thing to have to deal with

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

I can completly relate to this.

Loud noises make me angry,

not sustained noise like a chainsaw but sudden bangs etc

I get really angry...

Dont know why

Im also prone to bouts of feeling low,not depressed just very negative like i will find the bad point in any positive situation.

Thats from my forces back ground,

i know it is, but ive got the tools to deal with that and i can cope.

I dont proffess to understand ptsd but i  sympathise for those who suffer.

Bloody awful thing to have to deal with

Have you ever looked into mindfulness meditation Stihlmad?

It can help break the link between stimulus and automatic reaction/emotion.

Could be a useful addition to your coping mechanisms?

• Thanks 1

When I was in my early twenty’s and bored of tree work , we used to do a lot of council work in old people’s homes , one old fella who was always out side digging over flower beds or cutting hedges , just doing his own thing away from the other old folk sitting in the tv room,I would always have a chat with , he seemed very stable and not hysterical when dealing with trees ...he had briefly mentioned some thing about the desert rats and North Africa... any ways a few months later I was back on the site clearing some ivy blown tree and I stop to have are usual chat about trees and stuff and I tell him about an interview with the tank corps as I’m thinking about joining .... he looks at me , starts crying and tells me not to do it nothing for him will ever get rid of the memories of seeing young men, his friends in Bren carriers being cut to pieces by machine guns in El Alamein pass or blown to to bits in hedge rows.. i realises then why this guy was always out side by himself and keeping himself busy as he was being constantly haunted ..it did start quite a morbid obsession for me to find out more about what the dude had seen but put me off joining the military.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1