2wd Forest Tractor - Opinions

AndyO

Looking for your experiences using an older style 2wd tractor in the woods.

I’m used to running an articulated alpine tractor in the woods at the moment but that may not always be the case in the future.

They were used for years even when 4x4 technology existed both in forestry and ag but are almost extinct now if buying new (not that I am!)

Iv read proper ballast and weighting (and chains) can make a big difference to grip and performance.

Looking for your experiences. Cheers!

If kinda hard enough underfoot 2WD should be fine, but one probably would need the brakes to skid steer, if working a 2WD to the max, thinking winching/skidding, so surely the Zetor is on the back foot in this respect?

Actually so much simpler to max out the rear tyres for flotation/traction on a 2WD, that it could make sense, if the front wheels dont be doing nowt much except keeping the front off the ground when stopped.

• Like 1

hi personally i would not consider a 2 wd in the woods, but yes they used them befor 4wd  and still used them after 4wd was available the fordson major was common in woodland work for winching , dont know what your budget is but you would get a DB 4wd for 3 or 4k, this is what we use 40hp 5ft wide pulls well not in 4wd at the moment but next thing it will be pissing down for next 6 monthes  

20160608_171525.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers for the replies already...
Half tracks would be awesome but also like hens teeth, heard you can cross ditches easily with them by lifting the front axel with the bogie wheels!

The old ‘Nashers’ seem to have higher flow rate than most others of the same era but I reckon something with a ROPS cab is a must even though my alpine only has a roll bar, so that probably puts me into at least the 70’s in terms of tractor era when safety cabs or frames came in (although I stand to be corrected).

Looking to skid/winch and possibly run a trailer and splitter but really looking to see how the increased weight and half the drive on skinnier tyres will go compared to the alpine. Equally the alpine is terrible on the road with really low speed and scary twitchy steering when flat out and being passed by cyclists uphill...

Keep the replies coming [emoji106]