travellers

westphalian

Those are the actions of total arseholes, when I used to live on the road we only took sites on derelict land and tried to leave them as we found them, lived on a site near Chichester where the Irish came and tipped all there shite, we weren’t given a choice!

Could of been worse John I’ve seen them rock up on a site make other travellers lives hell and then burn out there homes for a grand finale ... the fact they are one of the only segments of society that can get away with forced slavery , prostitution, battery ,theft and murder and are so ruthless that even there own community is too scared to do anything about sums up the situation.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, difflock said:

Have not the Americans recently done sommat about non-resident US Citizens being liable for personal taxes regardless of where the work or choose to reside, I dont remember the details, but certainly along those lines.

marcus

There's another example of the total irony of the situation....

I've no particular beef with anyone wanting to live an alternative lifestyle - each to their own an all that.

I support anybody's right to drop out (take their own direction), but if demanding all of the rights and benefits of a society that they don't contribute to, and profess to detest, it is unbelievably hypocritical.  

You know like - not paying council tax (or any other kind of tax) then being first in line for the gyro, then the Dr's surgery, then the library....  

Or whining about being classed as an 'illegal' alien and then complaining about being asked to pay income tax...  You can't have it both ways...  Apparently you can...   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 29/06/2018 at 06:58, Gary Prentice said:

With your ability to massage figures like that Vesp, you should be a politician, or a mob accountant.

If we're reading the same article,  5% of the prison population (Not 7%) that identify themselves as Romany, Gypsy or traveller includes women. So take women out, be generous and say they account for half of your 7%. How does dividing by 2 double the numbers? So 3.5% are male, take away those <10 & >30. Now bear with me, take numbers away and the original number gets smaller! 

You're guessing at 28%, and then saying that thirty percent of the male traveller/Romany/Gypsy population are thieves! If you're going to be clever and use empirical data to prove a point, you need to be a bit less obvious in your creative accounting methodology. :D

Not if you assume none of the women have done time.

Take a population of say 100 women and 100 men. 7% are convicted criminals. That's 14 people.

Now, if you assume all the women are not convicted, then 14 of the 100 men are. That's 14%.

About 20% of the population is under 18 and can't go to prison. So 80 of the males can. 14 have. That's   17.5%.

Vespasian had it right on the approach to the arithmetic. I couldn't give a stuff about the subject matter. Thought I was losing it up to that point.

10 minutes ago, daltontrees said:

Not if you assume none of the women have done time.

Take a population of say 100 women and 100 men. 7% are convicted criminals. That's 14 people.

Now, if you assume all the women are not convicted, then 14 of the 100 men are. That's 14%.

About 20% of the population is under 18 and can't go to prison. So 80 of the males can. 14 have. That's   17.5%.

Vespasian had it right on the approach to the arithmetic. I couldn't give a stuff about the subject matter. Thought I was losing it up to that point.

Why can't people under 18 go to prison?

Unless you mean they would go to a YOI, or whatever they are called these days.

8 hours ago, AHPP said:

You’re right to point out the tax inequality between the rich and the poor(er) but would you rather everyone was equal and paying little tax or everyone was equal and paying a lot? I’d certainly prefer people were paying little, therefore keeping the state at a tolerable size.

Everybody pay littlle, small gov ? 18% is about tops, according to the Laffer Curve (Art Laffer the famous economist) if the gov takes zero taxes it has zero revenue to run the machinery of state. If the gov takes 100% in tax, people have no money to spend or invest and the economy collapses = zero revenue. Charge them 50% and they hide some of it or hire accountants. Tax the rich too much and they leave, and take the jobs with them. Etc. So studies were done and they figured the sweet spot for revenue gain was 18%.

19 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Everybody pay littlle, small gov ? 18% is about tops, according to the Laffer Curve (Art Laffer the famous economist) if the gov takes zero taxes it has zero revenue to run the machinery of state. If the gov takes 100% in tax, people have no money to spend or invest and the economy collapses = zero revenue. Charge them 50% and they hide some of it or hire accountants. Tax the rich too much and they leave, and take the jobs with them. Etc. So studies were done and they figured the sweet spot for revenue gain was 18%.

Pretty much what JRM said on LBC AFDA ??

34 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

?Etc. So studies were done and they figured the sweet spot for revenue gain was 18%.

And who would object to that if it was spent wisely?  Its not and thats why most people object to paying what they do, the government is top heavy, expensive, wasteful and inefficient in just about every department.It all needs stripping back to bare bones and a rethink.

Bob

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1