Do I need permission to close a by road?

Valeman

20 hours ago, Valeman said:

Hi.  I have a small amount of tree work to do which would make life a lot easier if I was to close off the road.  Its a very quiet and largely unused country road with alternative routes available which probably add half a mile on to your journey.  Do I need to be any qualifications in traffic management to do this?  I understand you have to inform the emergency services, is that just a case of calling the police or do I need to call each emergency service?

Thanks

Get there early, 6 am, drop tree into road / the weather did it.

Call 101 and report it, tell them you are on site dealing.

Any busy bodies show up refer them to 101 earlier.

Or of course spend your hard earned.

23 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

My LA wants around £800 + Vat just for a temp parking restriction plus extra cash if you want cones out to prevent anyone parking. So a Rd closure :scared1:

They charged their own Arb team over two thousand for one recently I’m told.

You seem to be financially discouraged for playing by the rules and doing things properly 

That'd be something like what they'd do down hereabouts Gary....

Cornwall council sub the job out to Cormac (100% share owned by - you guessed it Cornwall council!)

CC highways charge Cormac for closure, Cormac sub in ™ company and light the place up like Blackpool illuminations, Cormac charge CC a massive fee for the works and the whole thing just goes around in circles emptying the council tax payers pocket....

There were 12-15 blokes, 2 big tractors, an 8 ton dump truck, 2 vans and a ™ van doing the rounds here at the moment.  The first tractor has an edge cutting blade which is taking about 2" off the Cornish bank at the road side (stone and earth) then comes the next tractor with the brush and loader to lift it into the dump truck, then come the strimmers and back back blower brigade.  

Had a chat with one of them, they'd been doing it all the way from St Germans to Bathpool and were about 8 weeks in doing a few miles a day!  That was last week, frankly you can't see that it's made a toss of difference and the cost must be mind-boggling!    

16 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

That'd be something like what they'd do down hereabouts Gary....

Cornwall council sub the job out to Cormac (100% share owned by - you guessed it Cornwall council!)

CC highways charge Cormac for closure, Cormac sub in ™ company and light the place up like Blackpool illuminations, Cormac charge CC a massive fee for the works and the whole thing just goes around in circles emptying the council tax payers pocket....

There were 12-15 blokes, 2 big tractors, an 8 ton dump truck, 2 vans and a ™ van doing the rounds here at the moment.  The first tractor has an edge cutting blade which is taking about 2" off the Cornish bank at the road side (stone and earth) then comes the next tractor with the brush and loader to lift it into the dump truck, then come the strimmers and back back blower brigade.  

Had a chat with one of them, they'd been doing it all the way from St Germans to Bathpool and were about 8 weeks in doing a few miles a day!  That was last week, frankly you can't see that it's made a toss of difference and the cost must be mind-boggling!    

Sounds a bit like Suffolk, although done by the council with outside TM. A speed sign got knocked over in our village a while back, a council  7 n half,  transit, and five blokes tuned out to erect a new sign, and one bloke from a private company to do the TM . This was a single post with 30mph sing on one side and a national speed limit sign on the other side...... You've guessed it, they got the signs the wrong way round!

My missus went up with a spanner and turned the signs round so they were facing the correct way!

When I worked on the roads that would have been a two man job.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Haha 1

How does it work if Highways have condemned the tree and insists it is removed?
That's exactly the problem I'm having at the moment, highways inspector spots a problem, out comes cc tree office - hmm yes that tree and the next need to be removed as a problem - landowner being the MOD have a bit more public duty of care so agree to have the work done - we price it and get the order to do it and organise the closure as its vertually a single track road and need to set a mewp up on it. 8 months on I'm still trying to get a date sorted to close the road to do it and the bill before we turn up will be over 1500 for charges and tm - really annoying thing is its same office that highlighted the need for the work thats making it difficult to get on and do it. Could get interesting if the tree actually fails and hurts someone while we are shuffling paper!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gray git said:
1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:
How does it work if Highways have condemned the tree and insists it is removed?

That's exactly the problem I'm having at the moment, highways inspector spots a problem, out comes cc tree office - hmm yes that tree and the next need to be removed as a problem - landowner being the MOD have a bit more public duty of care so agree to have the work done - we price it and get the order to do it and organise the closure as its vertually a single track road and need to set a mewp up on it. 8 months on I'm still trying to get a date sorted to close the road to do it and the bill before we turn up will be over 1500 for charges and tm - really annoying thing is its same office that highlighted the need for the work thats making it difficult to get on and do it. Could get interesting if the tree actually fails and hurts someone while we are shuffling paper!

You should be able to get an emergency closure to get the job done.

Failing that just borrow a couple of tanks should did the job.