Tesla Powerwall

donnk

15 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Motivation would be to save money as i’m planning on staying in my house till the end of my days..... unless i choose to follow the path of my job offer in cape town (but thats another story) i have come to notice you are an argumentative sole aren’t you! Always a pop at someone, i’m recently a new member and i’m already getting bored of you!!!
You wouldnt be subsidising me cos what i’m allowed to get through a grant or what ever, you are allowed also, if you choose not to use that route then thats up to you!!! I like the sound of it, it was interesting what Ian posted...... so knob off!!!
Thanks again Ian, enjoyed your shared video link emoji106.png

a pop at someone?..  I think the point is to make you think before you act.   ask questions, not jump on a bandwagon..

How much will it cost? how much will I save.. how reliable is it likely to be in the real world, maintenance costs?..

Look on utube see its been covered and see if its been debunked as a scam..   I've already looked at a few counter arguments to this Tesla Powerwall, one by the Washington Posts suggests it will take 38 years to get your money back..   given thats in america it might be a shorter time span over here, even less with grants or subsidies..

The point being the real costs are hidden, and one of those real costs is inverters, apparently they don't last long in real world conditions..   might want to investigate replacing those every year or so, and thats not to mention the battery pack if it gives up the ghost and your out of warranty..

a pop at someone?..  I think the point is to make you think before you act.   ask questions, not jump on a bandwagon..

How much will it cost? how much will I save.. how reliable is it likely to be in the real world, maintenance costs?..

Look on utube see its been covered and see if its been debunked as a scam..   I've already looked at a few counter arguments to this Tesla Powerwall, one by the Washington Posts suggests it will take 38 years to get your money back..   given thats in america it might be a shorter time span over here, even less with grants or subsidies..

The point being the real costs are hidden, and one of those real costs is inverters, apparently they don't last long in real world conditions..   might want to investigate replacing those every year or so, and thats not to mention the battery pack if it gives up the ghost and your out of warranty..

It’s not just about money though (it might be to some)
The idea is a properly good one if it can harvest spare renewable energy that would be otherwise wasted/put into the grid for a pittance.

Oh and by the way batteries WILL keep getting better. YouTube doesn’t have all the answers especially with people trying to prove the big companies wrong from their garage!
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Vespasian said:

You’ll notice my last post looked into the future and predicted this response. 

6 11 31 49 50 59

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the 1880s I heard about this Benz guy who had invented an engine which used explosions to operate pistons instead of quiet steam pressure.  To make these explosions he obviously has to carry around highly explosive fuel which he or his passengers had to sit above or near.  Imagine the consequences of an accident and the subsequent fireball!

We already have  wonderful quiet steam power with massive torque powered by coal but also possibly by renewable wood.

Think of the enormous energy involved in searching and drilling for oil and refining it

I really cannot see this Benz idea going anywhere

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Billhook said:

In the 1880s I heard about this Benz guy who had invented an engine which used explosions to operate pistons instead of quiet steam pressure.  To make these explosions he obviously has to carry around highly explosive fuel which he or his passengers had to sit above or near.  Imagine the consequences of an accident and the subsequent fireball!

We already have  wonderful quiet steam power with massive torque powered by coal but also possibly by renewable wood.

Think of the enormous energy involved in searching and drilling for oil and refining it

I really cannot see this Benz idea going anywhere

Classic

Being in a country where the sun does shine a lot does help.

There is so many solar powered homes in Australia (mostly feeding back to the grid) that the power providers are starting to kick up about all the money they are losing!

I read online that these power walls cost £5k. I don't really see how they can add up economically. £5k for me would be about 8 years of electricity...

Interesting technology though [emoji4]

I think for off grid living they are gonna be excellent, but as you say if on the mains anyway it’s probably never gonna pay for itself.( before it becomes worn out)
  • Like 1

I think for off grid living they are gonna be excellent, but as you say if on the mains anyway it’s probably never gonna pay for itself.( before it becomes worn out)
Not really looked Into tesla, but 5k buys you an awful lot of batteries for offgrid living.

For me budget option would be used deep cycle batteries like these https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222920831636
If I were about to setup a offgrid cabin
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Richard 1234 said:

It’s not just about money though (it might be to some)
The idea is a properly good one if it can harvest spare renewable energy that would be otherwise wasted/put into the grid for a pittance.

Oh and by the way batteries WILL keep getting better. YouTube doesn’t have all the answers especially with people trying to prove the big companies wrong from their garage!

If you have any sense it is about the money..  and yes it is a good idea, if it was cost effective..  

batteries will keep getting better, reminds me of the 100mtrs world record.   sure it gets beat here an there, but not by anything worth trumpeting about...