Low impact forestry services in Devon and the South West

Big J

11 hours ago, the village idiot said:

If you guys are interested I could start up a thread showing what we get up to day to day? I've got lots of pictures and stuff, plus I think I've taken up enough of J's excellent thread.

Chuffed that there is so much interest in Woodland management. It doesn't get an awful lot of airtime.

...no it don't - cos far more fun talking election bollocks fr some. It's a far away topic fr most . Yet up and coming as far as profitable agricultural practise is concerned ( an I remmbr in the 80s it was on its arse ) k

Just looked at a woodland this morning, needs loads of work as it's run by a primary school and is used by the kids and they have a forest school for infants.
It's mainly mature ish oak and beech with a few other hardwoods. Full of deadwood.
Got a few questions.....
[emoji106]

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Just looked at a woodland this morning, needs loads of work as it's run by a primary school and is used by the kids and they have a forest school for infants.
It's mainly mature ish oak and beech with a few other hardwoods. Full of deadwood.
Got a few questions.....
emoji106.png

Fire away! 

Ironmike isn't too far from you in Richmond (around 80 miles) if you need a low impact machine for timber extraction there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, the village idiot said:

If you guys are interested I could start up a thread showing what we get up to day to day? I've got lots of pictures and stuff, plus I think I've taken up enough of J's excellent thread.

Chuffed that there is so much interest in Woodland management. It doesn't get an awful lot of airtime.

Yes please.

Fire away! 

Ironmike isn't too far from you in Richmond (around 80 miles) if you need a low impact machine for timber extraction there.

Did a day last week with Mike, good bloke. [emoji106]
It's only about 2 acres so not worth the drive.
There's about 145 trees on site,
Most 60'+
All need deadwooding some need felling etc.
Looking at possibly "French pollarding"
Several oaks on school grounds to reduce cost of future deadwooding.

So my big question is:
How to make a woodland safe for children, on a school budget. In Yorkshire.[emoji51]
I'm thinking grants/funding/cake sales
Clubs and orgs hiring it at weekends,
Kids camping in the summer etc etc.
Any ideas etc ?
[emoji106]

4 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

So my big question is:
How to make a woodland safe for children, on a school budget. In Yorkshire.emoji51.png
Any ideas etc ?

Don't know if it's any help but my uncle owns a Wood in the Nidderdale AONB. Similar composition, Beech and Oak. 

He has all kinds of groups going there for activities, including school kids. He has just built an octagonal meeting barn type thingy for classes, meditation etc.

If you wanted some pointers and were up that way I'm sure he'd be up for showing you around, giving some advice etc.

Let me know if this is of any interest and I can pass on his details.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Did a day last week with Mike, good bloke. emoji106.png
It's only about 2 acres so not worth the drive.
There's about 145 trees on site,
Most 60'+
All need deadwooding some need felling etc.
Looking at possibly "French pollarding"
Several oaks on school grounds to reduce cost of future deadwooding.

So my big question is:
How to make a woodland safe for children, on a school budget. In Yorkshire.emoji51.png
Any ideas etc ?
emoji106.png

The Woodland Trust do open days down near me and get a horse logger in to do extraction demos, lots of photo opportunities and good donations are raised.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Thanks VI, that would be great.emoji106.png

The biggest issue I have is making 100+ tall trees safe for kids to play under.
The whole woodland is full of deadwood.
I actually thought of kids hard hats?

Clearfell. Job done.

In all seriousness, get it QTRA (or equivalent!) surveyed and go from there would be my advice.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Thanks VI, that would be great.emoji106.png

The biggest issue I have is making 100+ tall trees safe for kids to play under.
The whole woodland is full of deadwood.
I actually thought of kids hard hats?

Try and use some common sense. I do an annual survey at a scout camp site in a wood and yes certain trees in the higher use areas where tents are pitched or seating areas need the dead wood removing, but you can't make it 100 percent safe without felling the lot.  Try zoning the areas.

I do have concerns at another scout camp site that is 90% ash and might well have to be abandoned if ADB takes hold.  

• Like 2