Opinions on forestry tow vehicles

ah right, I should of read the whole thread!...Defenders are NOT comfortable to drive...being tall and broad is not going to help...I've seen Felix the Logchopper get out of a defender cab looking like spongebob squarepants!

If you are still thinking about the Commander, worth noting that you can get them with a 5.7 Hemi. I had that engine in a Chrysler 300 estate. Absolutely fantastic engine and good for about 20mpg. They are generally cheaper than the diesels as people are scared of the fuel consumption but the economics depends what mileage you are going to do.

24 minutes ago, CDMR said:

If you are still thinking about the Commander, worth noting that you can get them with a 5.7 Hemi. I had that engine in a Chrysler 300 estate. Absolutely fantastic engine and good for about 20mpg. They are generally cheaper than the diesels as people are scared of the fuel consumption but the economics depends what mileage you are going to do.

Will probably end up doing quite a lot of miles, and there seems to be a distinct lack of LPG stations in Devon. I'd guess probably 20,000 to 30,000 miles a year. 

I keep swinging back to the VX80 series Landcruiser too. I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....

• Haha 1

Hi J 

Got a pal in Inverness with both a land cruiser 4.2td and a patrol 4.2, pretty sure he’s looking to thin out a couple as he’s also running another land cruiser, I’ll get details and pics if they are of any interest. 

Regards 

Dave 

• Thanks 1

The Nissan Patrol with the 4.2 was as economical when towing a cattle trailer as when running without a trailer on tow, at least this was the answer received when my brother asked a neighbour why he always had a mostly empty trailer in tow,

i.e. he might as well look at it, as look for it, on the odd occassion he actually needed it.

presumably due to low overall gearing

mth

14 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Hi J 

Got a pal in Inverness with both a land cruiser 4.2td and a patrol 4.2, pretty sure he’s looking to thin out a couple as he’s also running another land cruiser, I’ll get details and pics if they are of any interest. 

Regards 

Dave 

I'd certainly be interested to see some details regarding the landcruiser ?

On 3/21/2018 at 06:37, difflock said:

The Nissan Patrol with the 4.2 was as economical when towing a cattle trailer as when running without a trailer on tow, at least this was the answer received when my brother asked a neighbour why he always had a mostly empty trailer in tow,

i.e. he might as well look at it, as look for it, on the odd occassion he actually needed it.

presumably due to low overall gearing

mth

I thought the Patrol was a stonking motor .