Opinions on forestry tow vehicles

I had an '89 Shogun SWB many moons ago and loved it. Bought it in Plymouth and drove the 477 miles straight back up. Had to stop for fuel though, as it was a petrol. I drove an almost new Shogun a few years back and it was OK, but I was surprised how agricultural it felt. I do need a little bit of comfort. At 6ft 8", I don't fit that well into vehicles, full stop. A uncomfortable vehicle for a normal height person is just uncomfortable. For me it's doubly uncomfortable because I also won't really fit. 

The old Patrols certainly have their appeal and most reports are that they are bombproof. Do they have cruise control? I doubt it :(

20 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I think the job will be trying to find a patrol in tidy enough order- I always keep an eye half open for patrols and land cruisers- the latter being more common it seems.

The patrol was brilliant . My girl friend at that time  dad had one for all the reasons above  . He was a big bloke and used it mainly for shooting .  Totally under stressed  belt and braces motor . Finding one now ..............

Edited by Stubby

Hi J we used to run an import 80 series Land cruiser, 4.5 petrol/LPG as our crew bus and towing 3.5 for the marquee side of our business. Really solid and comfortable, but sadly the gear box was giving in after 285000 miles, about 150000 towing. So traded it in for an import100 series with 50000 on the clock (£8k including the trade in), had it 18 months now up to 75000 and all good bar the gas assist on the front suspension. The gas pots run out of gas over time and then suddenly fail, leaving you with a dragster looking motor. The replacements are £600 each, will fail again after 50-100000 miles depending on use and you need 2! So went for a suspension kit from Pedders, which replaces the whole suspension front and rear with traditional shocks and springs, only £800 for the kit.

Alternatively what about a Delica as driven by Bob at Aspenarb? Basically a 7-8 seater minibus body on a Pajero chassis. Had one prior to the Landcruisers. Really comfortable and roomy, not sure on the towing but Bob might know, he seems to get some weight behind his (see the towing in the snow thread. There's one on autotrader with45/50k on the clock for about £6k I think.

Sorry that was so long but hope it's helpful. Ernie.

• Like 1

Had an 80 series LC about year 2000 but actually found front axle unreliable compared to my current 100 series. 

Had a low mileage 3 year old  disco 4 one of the nicest vehicle I have owned but zero reliability will never be on my list in future.

i would say an 04-06 year 100 series LC would be your best bet. 04 onwards they got the better dash and 5 speed auto box. Make sure it's rust free some go to rot others are perfect. If you get one with hydraulic active suspension when it breaks spend £1500 and put it back on coils.

rated for towing 3.5 tonnes but 4.5 tonnes in other countries so up to the job. Strong engine for towing and 25 mpg when solo. Plenty of leg head and arm room.

pattern parts are a lot more available now as well 

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed replies chaps. Lots of food for thought. 

I'd remembered about Aspenarb's Delica, but hadn't remembered what make it was. Looks superb, and with my preference for vans, something that really appeals. 

The issue I think would just be fuel economy. The 3 litre V6 petrol seems to be the most common and it's reputed to struggle to get 20mpg. Towing, far less. LPG would be the only option I think. 

Steve - I think an 04-06 Amazon might just be out of my price range. They have incredible residuals. I'll look though.

12 hours ago, Big J said:

Thanks for the detailed replies chaps. Lots of food for thought. 

I'd remembered about Aspenarb's Delica, but hadn't remembered what make it was. Looks superb, and with my preference for vans, something that really appeals. 

The issue I think would just be fuel economy. The 3 litre V6 petrol seems to be the most common and it's reputed to struggle to get 20mpg. Towing, far less. LPG would be the only option I think. 

Steve - I think an 04-06 Amazon might just be out of my price range. They have incredible residuals. I'll look though.

The Delica is a great tow wagon/mobile toolbox/bowser/kennel  Jonathan  , I have caned the arse out of mine for nearly four years and all its had is brake pads and tyres. Its better off road than any of the pickups we have , there is virtually no bodywork  overhang front or back to ground out , can drive the thing right up to the machines for fueling up while the lads in the pickups have to park up and walk. Tows well but is not brilliant on fuel, probably low twenties towing and twenty eight ish if you creep about. Great seating position for me ( bad back) , a bit like the transit but with a lot more room , I have ripped all the seats/trim out of the back of mine and use it as a van but some of the flash ones do come with a high level of trim and all the toys. When this one dies I am having another one, best work truck I have ever had .

Bob

Mine is only the manual  bargain basement Delica space gear SWB so not full of goodies like some of the others

image_zpsxsoude6c.jpg

image_zpsj8zdgir5.jpg

image.jpg4_zps6dnwtkc2.jpg

J, dont dismiss the american side of things, yes, the F250 is big, but you can go chevy 2500, or 3500. both 4x4, both proper 1 ton load and 3500kg tow (actually a lot more, but we're not allowed) or dodge, I am surprised that american pickups havent caught on over here, I have owned 2 chevy 's and the only reason I still dont run one is now I have the mog. the last one was an ex military one, and although basic, it was a proper workhorse, a "real" 4x4, it would go places you would struggle to walk, and pull.......aye buildings down.....as for spares, never was a problem, there is a huge american car following in the uk, and the spares network supports this.  fuel economy, ran from low teens offroad working hard, to mid 20's on a run, and although a large vehicle I never found a problem on the road, you very quickly get used to it. and the big bonus....cab space is huge, you can party in the front.....lol...the americans like there space

• Like 3