Ripped off by tree surgeons

Martin95

I think my initial post was the catalyst to generate what has been a lively discussion and a good one at that, if we cant have a lively discussion then we might as well pack up and go home. However  I think what this all boils down to is market forces or supply and demand. It is what someone is willing to pay for services or goods provided.

You cant tell me that when you want a new piece of equipment you will pay the list prices. Well I wouldn’t, I would shop about until I found a deal that suited me. I did that with my truck and saved £3000 off the list price. To me that was a good deal to others I may have said that I still paid too much but I felt it was fair and paid the price that was negotiated.

Coming to the cost of equipment:- As Vespasian said the choice to use modern machinery that speeds up production is a choice thing. From a customers point of view all he/she would be concerned with is the end price. I am sure when you tender for a contact you provide one price for all work discussed and the cost of machinery would be factored in by you.

As for danger like any job they all come with risk from getting a paper cut in an office to a soldier walking through a mine field in Afghanistan it is a choice thing not that I would want to do that they have bigger balls than me.

I am no spring chicken but started my life as an apprentice welder in an oil rig yard and eventually got a chance to chase the money offshore, in the end that was short lived. I was offered the chance to convert/train to become a welder/diver.  After 6 months diving (not mixed gases they are the really crazy guys) I gave it up after a diver I knew died as a result of a diving accident and thought my life was worth more. I  decided that career choice was not for me.  And on that note for those of you up those crazy heights with a chain saw I respect you and the dangers are all too evident as Ty mention in one of his posts.  But like I said that is choice thing.  But for me you chaps are out of my league I cannot afford to some of the prices I have seen. I have been called tight and far worse at times in life; I have broad shoulders.

So whilst I have a woodland which at some point will be harvested,  I will tackle the trees I am confident with myself, but of those that are more  challenging  then I will have to seek professional help.  Once again my apologies for the initial tone of my first post it was a Donald trump moment. I  have now applied to the White House to be his PR assistant where he can use my talents !  Jokes aside  stay safe chaps.

• Like 13

Just remember Martin - when that guy is stood before you ( tooled up fr the climb) he is probably wearing / carrying over £2000 of kit / protective gear , got 10 yrs or more cutting-edge experience in his / her head, maybe £3000 of certification  plus hanging that life off a tree every day  with half an inch of nylon. K 

( hence the wildly amusing an diverse responses on this solid gold thread :) )

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Martin95 said:

I think my initial post was the catalyst to generate what has been a lively discussion and a good one at that, if we cant have a lively discussion then we might as well pack up and go home. However  I think what this all boils down to is market forces or supply and demand. It is what someone is willing to pay for services or goods provided.

You cant tell me that when you want a new piece of equipment you will pay the list prices. Well I wouldn’t, I would shop about until I found a deal that suited me. I did that with my truck and saved £3000 off the list price. To me that was a good deal to others I may have said that I still paid too much but I felt it was fair and paid the price that was negotiated.

Coming to the cost of equipment:- As Vespasian said the choice to use modern machinery that speeds up production is a choice thing. From a customers point of view all he/she would be concerned with is the end price. I am sure when you tender for a contact you provide one price for all work discussed and the cost of machinery would be factored in by you.

As for danger like any job they all come with risk from getting a paper cut in an office to a soldier walking through a mine field in Afghanistan it is a choice thing not that I would want to do that they have bigger balls than me.

I am no spring chicken but started my life as an apprentice welder in an oil rig yard and eventually got a chance to chase the money offshore, in the end that was short lived. I was offered the chance to convert/train to become a welder/diver.  After 6 months diving (not mixed gases they are the really crazy guys) I gave it up after a diver I knew died as a result of a diving accident and thought my life was worth more. I  decided that career choice was not for me.  And on that note for those of you up those crazy heights with a chain saw I respect you and the dangers are all too evident as Ty mention in one of his posts.  But like I said that is choice thing.  But for me you chaps are out of my league I cannot afford to some of the prices I have seen. I have been called tight and far worse at times in life; I have broad shoulders.

So whilst I have a woodland which at some point will be harvested,  I will tackle the trees I am confident with myself, but of those that are more  challenging  then I will have to seek professional help.  Once again my apologies for the initial tone of my first post it was a Donald trump moment. I  have now applied to the White House to be his PR assistant where he can use my talents !  Jokes aside  stay safe chaps.

Tickle Pink Martin95, (may I call you Martin?.) that I got a mention..    :thumbup1:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattyF said:

....tree or Ariel rigging apart from....

Rigging?  That pesky mermaid can barely look after herself let alone be trusted with rigging.

1 hour ago, Vespasian said:

.... problem with Ariel Rescue....

See, I knew it.  She is utterly hapless.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Get a few quotes Martin and make a decision, there will be no rip off then.

You should however take all matters into account that us Arborist’s need to; travel time to and from site, fuel consumption, tool maintenance, hazard and risk etc etc, it’s not as easy as you might think. 

Good luck finding the right person to do the job you require.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Martin95 said:

Ah a tree festival he says. And you chaps could show how drop a tree on to a flag as they do at the Yorkshire show always impressed me.

Vespasian by all means

Get 'em up there, Martin, put on a BBQ add a few beers, they will be in their element.

You get ya tress cut they get to shit in ya hedges, win, win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3