Ripped off by tree surgeons

Martin95

29 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

Its up to you to back up your claims with proof pal not me.

I take it you've exhausted the internet search tryin to prove your more than dubious claims..and my neighbour does all my vehicular repairs because he's a decent bloke and his prices are very competative.The wife and i have took our vehicles too him,he has also trusted us with lookin after his dogs whilst on holiday.

Its up to me to back up my claims?. you know damn well I'm right to start with..  its up to you to prove me wrong..

Try taking your car to another garage, you take it one week your wife the next, or vice versa..  see if you get any difference.

3 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

Its up to me to back up my claims?. you know damn well I'm right to start with..  its up to you to prove me wrong..

Try taking your car to another garage, you take it one week your wife the next, or vice versa..  see if you get any difference.

Nope its up to you to back up your claims with proof, that is how we prove FACT from fiction or in this case twaddle that has come from your head.

You think my wife taking her car to a garage would somehow back up your claims that this farmer thinks his wife has been purposely over quoted by a dodgy tree surgeon...

Thats a stretch mate even for you...

• Like 1

Well good evening all I seem to have caused quite a pan shite with my first ever post. It was not my intention but let me explain. But firstly lets get the quiz out the way I am not a farmer, end of. But I do own what was a derelict farmhouse and former farm in 2003 after the owner could not make ends meet. My wife and I rebuilt the property ourselves with some professional help where need and that is where my experince of trademen and in my opinion pushing the boundaries.  We have experinced sparkies, plumbers and builders all trying it on and one who we declined his services contacted us back for work.   I am sure some of you will have been quoted prices for jobs which made you a little annoyed. This brings me to your industry where I have and I admit struck a nerve albeit not my intention and was a bit of a Donald Trump moment! In 2003 I need a 30ft tree feeling, it was a simple job of dropping the tree away from what was my derelict house across a beck that all. I rang a local aborist offering him £50 and the timber if he wanted. He told me he would not get out of bed for anything less than £100. So I had not choice and dropped the tree myself. My first experince was not a positive one. Anyway we then had a several years of people trying it on and in fact only recently was succesful in the courts taking a plumber to court who fitted a rayburn that doesn't work propely costing using £5000. Anyway thats enough of sob stories you are all probably so depressed now you will be looking for a tree to swing from!
This bring me to our recent experince of the arborist who quoted about £400 or £615 with vat which I still find  very expensive. At those sort of prices from a member of the public points of view is exepensive. And as I am a landowner I naturally have dealings with farmers, my neighbours are. Anyway I asked via facebook what is a reasonable price to reduce the size of an ash tree. All I want is the tree or limbs dropping either in the stream which is near by or on the ground and I would do the rest. Even someone accepting they could do it for £150 in half an hour thats £300 per hour, I wish I could earn that. And yes before you want to have a personal pop at me which I all honesty I dont really mind life is too short that is  how I see it. So from my point of view £400 cash in hand for a quick job is not bad had I accepted it. May be this bloke who quoted my wife was trying it on because I was not at home, who knows ?
I appreciate that you are all running a business and not a charity and need to put bread on the table but I too as a customer also need to know I am getting a fair deal and that my friends is a matter of opinion which market forces control. I have received two invites from forum users to come and assess the job so i have achieved my goal admittedly in an abrupt manner and should have thought twice and been more tactful.  As they say everyday is a school day.
Anyway chaps its been interesting and amusing even some of the insults but hey that life.
Be safe 

Regards
Martin

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Martin95 said:

Well good evening all I seem to have caused quite a pan shite with my first ever post.
Be safe 

Regards
Martin

Hey Martin . No worries bud . You have achieved legendary status in one post !

Seriously matey if you don't care which way they fall  why not do as I suggested and fell em from the ground your self ? Log em up at your leisure ////////

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Martin95 said:

Well good evening all I seem to have caused quite a pan shite with my first ever post. It was not my intention but let me explain. But firstly lets get the quiz out the way I am not a farmer, end of. But I do own what was a derelict farmhouse and former farm in 2003 after the owner could not make ends meet. My wife and I rebuilt the property ourselves with some professional help where need and that is where my experince of trademen and in my opinion pushing the boundaries.  We have experinced sparkies, plumbers and builders all trying it on and one who we declined his services contacted us back for work.   I am sure some of you will have been quoted prices for jobs which made you a little annoyed. This brings me to your industry where I have and I admit struck a nerve albeit not my intention and was a bit of a Donald Trump moment! In 2003 I need a 30ft tree feeling, it was a simple job of dropping the tree away from what was my derelict house across a beck that all. I rang a local aborist offering him £50 and the timber if he wanted. He told me he would not get out of bed for anything less than £100. So I had not choice and dropped the tree myself. My first experince was not a positive one. Anyway we then had a several years of people trying it on and in fact only recently was succesful in the courts taking a plumber to court who fitted a rayburn that doesn't work propely costing using £5000. Anyway thats enough of sob stories you are all probably so depressed now you will be looking for a tree to swing from!
This bring me to our recent experince of the arborist who quoted about £400 or £615 with vat which I still find  very expensive. At those sort of prices from a member of the public points of view is exepensive. And as I am a landowner I naturally have dealings with farmers, my neighbours are. Anyway I asked via facebook what is a reasonable price to reduce the size of an ash tree. All I want is the tree or limbs dropping either in the stream which is near by or on the ground and I would do the rest. Even someone accepting they could do it for £150 in half an hour thats £300 per hour, I wish I could earn that. And yes before you want to have a personal pop at me which I all honesty I dont really mind life is too short that is  how I see it. So from my point of view £400 cash in hand for a quick job is not bad had I accepted it. May be this bloke who quoted my wife was trying it on because I was not at home, who knows ?
I appreciate that you are all running a business and not a charity and need to put bread on the table but I too as a customer also need to know I am getting a fair deal and that my friends is a matter of opinion which market forces control. I have received two invites from forum users to come and assess the job so i have achieved my goal admittedly in an abrupt manner and should have thought twice and been more tactful.  As they say everyday is a school day.
Anyway chaps its been interesting and amusing even some of the insults but hey that life.
Be safe 

Regards
Martin

You seem a decent bloke and I wish you the best of luck HOWEVER I cant bite my tongue so bear with me, I believe you get well paid for two things when you break things down to simpleton standard, hours of graft and/or responsibility. 

Lets say your local arb accepted your £50 and free wood and he took on the simple job of felling your 30ft tree, lets presume their was some rot it went wrong and landed on your derelict building, would he be in court like your plumber? Would a potential court appearance be worth £50 and a bit of free wood?

Personally I price for job completion, not time spent. 

Time spent may seem relevant to most but it doesn’t factor responsibilities involved. 

Also a lot of tree work features a lot of both, time spent grafting and responsibilities which people IMO dont appreciate. 

Not having a pop Martin by any stretch but think of the shoe on the other foot would you sell yourself short?

FWIW if I was in your area I’d have quoted £150 to fell the tree and leave it where it lay or £200 to fell and cut into manageable sizes for you to do as you please. 

Like I say all the best. 

Wes

• Like 6