Another 40 year old just starting

forestboy1978

Re. F.

Why are you wrecking your body? Most older guys who climb are in much better physical shape than their contemporaries who have sedentary work.

Mick I was a bootneck and then a paramedic before i set up in arb, i was well on my way to being worn out before I started, two complete knee replacements at the age of 55 and I’m still reasonably active and loving the job. It does keep you aerobically fit but takes its toll on your joints.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tree-fancier123 said:

re point A - if you don't have this you're more likely to die than a soldier in a military conflict. Fact

I must of got lucky in my 22 years then.  I rarely had anyone on site with an aerial rescue ticket, and even when I did I wouldn't have trusted any of them to get me out of a tree ?

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, Jcarbor said:

Mick I was a bootneck and then a paramedic before i set up in arb, i was well on my way to being worn out before I started, two complete knee replacements at the age of 55 and I’m still reasonably active and loving the job. It does keep you aerobically fit but takes its toll on your joints.

I’m 55 in a few weeks, still the only climber on the job. Bit achy but otherwise ok.

Its my earnest belief that it’s the heavy lifting of wood and brash that does most physical damage, not climbing.

Since buying mechanical help (tractor/articulated loader) I have felt much better, fewer back and other joint issues. Same goes for my long term groundy whose shoulder kept failing him.

Of course there are exceptions, there’s guys on here who knocked it on the head in their mid thirties due to joint problems.

My point is it shouldn’t “wreck your body” unless you’re doing it wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tree-fancier123 said:

re point A - if you don't have this you're more likely to die than a soldier in a military conflict. Fact

Fact??!!? I just googled mortality rates for British soldiers. In the last 10 years its hovered around 1 in 2000. I believe if you narrow it down to front line combat troops its 1 in 50. Are you seriously saying climbers without a groundie+areal rescue stand a 1 in 50 chance of death every year? That would mean, given, lets say, a 25 year career, that _half_ of long-term arborists will be killed on the job? Nuts. Do your homework dude...

• Haha 1

Sarcasm.  

Did people really believe climbing without a rescue climber is more is more dangerous than being a frontline troop in combat?

Come on.  It isnt that hard to work that one out.

In other news, did people realise the word ‘gullible’ has been removed the the Oxford English Dictionary?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jcarbor said:

I started up at 40 plus, i have a successful arb contracting company, we have been arb association approved contractors.
Some things you need to be aware of-:
A.if you climb you must have a trained aerial rescuer with you,its a must.
B. You need to learn to prune properly, its not all about just taking trees down. The reductions in your pics are very poor.
C. Get use to doing risk assessments for every job you do.
D. Make sure you carry the right insurance.
E. Doing landscaping in bad weather maybe pants, climbing can be an absolute nightmare.
F. Be prepared to wreck your body physically.
Good luck.

Those pics were before any training btw

and my body is already fooked...

• Like 1