Another 40 year old just starting

forestboy1978

On 13/11/2018 at 16:29, Rough Hewn said:

No, but saw this today near a job.

this is on a 60' ash leaning towards houses 40' away.

the cuts are about 4" deep all round.

?

IMG_2896.JPG

IMG_2897.JPG

What's your best guess on which way that's gonna fall?

IMO - towards the house unless it's rigged. 

Edited by forestboy1978
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I’m 55 in a few weeks, still the only climber on the job. Bit achy but otherwise ok.

Its my earnest belief that it’s the heavy lifting of wood and brash that does most physical damage, not climbing.

Since buying mechanical help (tractor/articulated loader) I have felt much better, fewer back and other joint issues. Same goes for my long term groundy whose shoulder kept failing him.

Of course there are exceptions, there’s guys on here who knocked it on the head in their mid thirties due to joint problems.

My point is it shouldn’t “wreck your body” unless you’re doing it wrong.

Mick any idea of the lightest hi ab that could be bolted to a 3.5 ton trailer with reasonable reach?

17 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

There isn’t one, most 3.5 ton trucks have a legal payload of less than a tonne, slap on a crane, grab, stabilisers etc, you’ll  be either near or over the limit.

It’s a common theme, use the search function for more detail.

I have a 3.5 ton trailer thought. With cage and ramps it has a payload of about 2.5 tons. 

I was wondering if I could get a crane around the 500kg mark I'd be golden. 

Fooking loved it today. Swinging around in the breeze at 40ft. Felt right at home. 

Couldn't remember how to throw my line up though so it unbunched as it fell so felt like a right twat. Also bought too many long lines etc. The usual teething problems but so far so good. No deaths, or breakages etc

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zp625iag5c2zyl/20181119_140832.mp4?dl=0

• Like 1

Had 7 hours of climbing today. Left cambian saver up there but didn't fancy pulling up 40 ft so fitted a prussock to below me for easier ascension. 

All went really well. Free fall techniques landed correct. Pruning is going well. No danger.

Then.... I could not get myself into a union. last hour of the day, couldn't pull into it. Wasted so much energy. Also my prussock started slipping every so slightly couldn't figure out why. 

Pretty beat up ATM. Reall tired